Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:
It turned out good thanks to all the comments from the original post and earlier on this forum. The paint (hunter green) is closer to a new egg than I thought it would be. My son has already asked for it so I guess I won't be using it for too long.
Got the old but genuine egg painted and back together. It turned out pretty good but I've been warned not to let it heat up beyond about 400-450 degrees. The JD Weld and the engine paint I used were both rated for 500 but the old style eggs were not as temperature tolerant as the newer ceramic eggs. I've got it heated to about 400 degrees and it seems to be doing good so far. Total cost to complete the rebuild including the original cost of the egg was less than $70 but I had a gasket and a thermometer from old eggs. Here are some pictures of the final build.