Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now I understand - unbelieveable!!

Options
howmeisterg
howmeisterg Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First cook tonight on my new XL. I decided to keep it simple with a spatchcock chicken.

Winds were going at 25mph with 35mph gusts, but I was so looking forward to this cook, so I did not let the wind stop me!

Invested in a mapp torch, so I used it to light in 3 spots with BGE lump filled up to the top of the firebox/bottom of fire-ring. Perhpas I had the torch too close to the lump because many sparks were flying out.

I could not believe that my dome temp was up to 350 in 8 minutes. The thermo was calibrated so I knew the temp was the temp!

While I wait for Tom to finish designing and manufacturing the XL rig, I bought some stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts to get the grid 4" off the top of the fire ring since I was cooking direct.

The BGE maintained 350 degrees perfectly throughout the cook despite the wind - awesome.

The chicken cooked in about 70 minutes and was the juciest, most flavorful chicken I have ever had. The smoke flavor from the lump was delightful - took the kids by surprise since they have never had chicken made this way before. My oldest loved it, my 2 youngest used ketchup.

One question - when I sliced into the breast, the outside 1/4" had a pinkish color, while the rest of the meat was white - was this a smoke ring from the lump?

Thanks all for all your advice. Looks like ribs are going to be the next frontier this weekend.

The raw bird:

IMG_0102_edited-1.jpg

The cooked bird:

IMG_0110.jpg

The sliced bird(see how juicy?):

IMG_0112_edited-1.jpg

-Howard

Comments

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Yes & Congrats! Pink in the middle would be different, pink on the outer edges is the beautiful tasty smoke ring. Nice pic's!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Howard

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the BGE and your cook, the chicken looks great. The BGE lump and Publix and Kroger in house lump are the same as Royal Oak. You might be able to save a couple bucks. The MAPP torch is great, I have one and love it. It will throw sparks off fresh lump, I don't have anywhere near as many sparks from lump that has been previously lit. I wear my reading glasses and recommend at least minimal eye protection. I also do not wear my favorite shirts when lighting fresh lump, I already have a collection with small holes. Yes, it sounds like you did have nice smoke ring. Good luck with the ribs. I think we all eventually develop a favorite way to do ribs. I have been working on baby back ribs all summer. HERE is the last method I have tried and so far the best ribs.

Blair

• Metalhead
    Options
    chicken and turkey that ain't dry as the sahara. yep the egg does it. You won't be able to eat most ppls chicken again. When I was growing up, my mom was convinced that chicken pork and turkey all had to be cooked to 240 degrees f.

Thank goodness times have changed. :lol:
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    yes it was a smoke ring - them are great to have! Keep up the great cooks
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    looks good... i almost do them almost exclusively spatchcocked now.

unless I do them indirect(when feeling lazy)...
    context is important :)
  • Deggman
    Options
    Looks great, I had spacthcock chicken last night as well! It is the best way to cook chicken! Good idea hooking the skin to the leg like that.
  • Right on Q
    Options
    Welcome to the club!!! Nice bird.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Invest in a thermapen my friend. It will take all the guess work out and leave your feeling confident when serving your food (especially to your guests). One of the best investments I have made besides my 2nd egg and the adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store. PM Mollyshark if you are interested in a thermapen
  • howmeisterg
    Options
    Thanks El Dirty!! I actually have a Thermopen and that is eggxactly how I knew the bird was done!