Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking pork shoulder in the oven

Options
jld
jld Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a pork shoulder to cook, but sadly don't have my BGE. (it's in storage while I'm apartment living, your condolences are appreciated)

I want to cook it in the oven, and was thinking I could put in my enameled cast iron dutch/french oven and cook it pretty much like I would on the BGE. Do you think that would work? Seems like with the lid on, I'll get a good slow roasting affect and won't suffer much moisture loss. Could go 10-12 hours at 225*.

Is this worth a shot, or is there a better way to go?

Thanks!
John

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    It will work and would bet it will cook faster.
    What you will not get is the smoke flavor or the great char/bark that you would get on your Egg with the lid on your dutch oven.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Before I had my egg I would make pulled pork in a crock pot. I think we used some type of rub, then put a little vinegar and water in the crock pot while cooking. It was really good. It doesn't really taste as much like BBQ, but it will turn out melt-in-your-mouth tender. You can of course use liquid smoke, but I personally am just not a big fan of that stuff.

The dutch oven would probably work just as well, but the crock pot is another good option.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• LFGEnergy
    Options
    I would do a cuban style, rub it with a ton of fresh coarse crushed garlic, pepper, maybe even put garlic cloves in slots cut into meat, maybe a few other spices, and slow roast in the oven and baste as it cooks. Might put it on a rack to get it out of liquid, and add a bottle of SHiner to the pan for moisture and basting. May not be BGE, but it will be dang good!!!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Too bad about your egg. I hope you get to use it again real soon.

Here is a recipe for roasted pork shoulder:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/roasted-pork-shoulder-pernil-al-horno-recipe/index.html
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    I have done that several times with a 6-8 lb butt. I poked little holes in it and shoved some garlic slivers in, sprinkled on spices, put it in the oven at 225 about 10pm - uncovered. It will wake you up the next morning smelling good and so tender it will fall off the bone.
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a friend who asked for my rub recipe as he wanted to cook a butt in the oven. I have never tried this and I have never had any of his, but he says it's great!! That said, he is from Connecticut and has probably never had any REAL pork barbecue.

Give it a shot. It's pork - how bad can it BE?!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bgolf4me
    Options
    I have done this multiple times in the past. Season your Butt 8lb. or so. Wrap in foil. Set in pan and roast at 225 for 5 hrs. It will come out perfect.
    Good Luck,