Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boilermaker talegate chili--whoops

Options
jemrx
jemrx Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been making this chili for a couple of years it is my favorite all time chili and can be found at allrecipes.com. I decided to try it on the egg.
CIMG2483.jpg
the ingredients
CIMG2484.jpg
CIMG2485.jpg
Big mistake....using my wifes 17qt LeCreuset dutch oven
CIMG2489.jpg
Added some hickory
CIMG2487.jpg
Browned some sausage and chuck
CIMG2492.jpg
my twist on the ingredients a double shot of black cat
CIMG2493.jpg
Dutch oven changing color
CIMG2494.jpg
chili turned out great with a nice smoked flavor. Clean up a P.I.A.
CIMG2496.jpg

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Looks good...has a good name, too. :laugh:
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Chili looks good. Too bad about the Le Cruiset - it does clean up, but it takes some elbow grease. I think if you spray Pam on the outside of it before the cook, it makes the cleanup easier. That is IF you are ever allowed to use it on the egg again!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Nice. I use another recipe from that site that is great. Actually most of my recipes for different things come from there. It's pure WIN!

I've had that boilermaker recipe printed off and in my book for a long time now, but haven't tried it. It just has so much in it. LOL. Is it really worth it? Should I make it my next chili? Yours looks fantastic.
  • jemrx
    Options
    Andrew you should definetly make this. There are a lot of ingredients but the final product is worth the time and effort. The only thing I do different is adding the espresso and I dont add 1/4 cup chili powder but I add 3 tbl chipotle chile pwdr and 3 tbl smoked paprika.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Thanks Jack. I'll surely try it one of these days. Gets great reviews. Today is a good chili day here. Rainy.
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    This is also my favorite chili. Over 1,000 five star reviews on allrecipes. I love it.
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    This is also my favorite chili. Over 1,000 five star reviews on allrecipes. I love it.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Chili looks very good, it is definately chili weather here!! the espresso addition is interesting
  • PineyWoodsBrewer
    Options
    For next cleanup.... Place Dutch oven into a larger pot, cover with hot water, dump in one or two scoops of Oxyclean, stir and let sit over night. The next day you can 'rinse' away all that mess. No scrubbing.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    PineyWoodsBrewer wrote:
    For next cleanup.... Place Dutch oven into a larger pot, cover with hot water, dump in one or two scoops of Oxyclean, stir and let sit over night. The next day you can 'rinse' away all that mess. No scrubbing.

Billy Mays, is that you? :laugh:
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    That is a good recipe. I also use that if I want a beef and bean stew/chili. (I am in the boat that claims that the only real chili is one without beans)
  • jemrx
    Options
    Thankyou for the advice. I will definetly do that next time.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Don't let the ol' fella from Georgia* see that! It's got more stuff in it than his and he's got the kitchen sink! :woohoo:

* John Hall of Hall Winery aka Egret aka Grape Boy :P
  • Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    Options
    I second that. GO BOILERS!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    OK if I catch you in in my kitchen again me and you are going to have problems! :laugh:
    11-14-2010.jpg

I use La Crueset all the time in my Eggs just have to use a scouring pad to get the smoke off and a bit of elbow grease. Cast iron and La Cresuit are my favorit things to use. To make it lees stressfull get on Ebay and snag some used La Cresuit like I did. BTW The local guy in town that makes the best double shot straight period uses Black Cat. Looking at him you would never believe it but then again looking at me you would never believe I could do a descent piece of toast! :pinch: I get mine whole from Caffe D'arte in Seattle next day but have been wanting to try Black Cat.
  • jemrx
    Options
    Hey nice tamper there! I order mu coffee from intelligentsia they are in chicago and roast their beans every Monday. They are very reasonable and have great selections of single source, blends and even water

process decaf. check out their web. Jack

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/