Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg prepping for slow cook ??

OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
G'day fellow eggers!

Just wondering how you eggsperts go about prepping the egg for your cooks.

For a low n slow cook, what I've been doing is lighting up the egg the letting it get to temp with the platesetter in. Then when I'm ready to slap on the ribs or whatever, I take the platesetter out, add my wood chunks / chips, then re-assemble.

Generally though, I tend to add the wood chunks / chips just before I put the food on. The only difference being if I'm doing a super-long cooke (e.g. pork butt), in which case I follow the naked whiz instructions.

Comments? Questions? Threats?
:silly:

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I just put three or four fist sized chunks on top of my coals before I light the Egg. -RP
  • Here's how I do it. There are a number of ways but here's mine:

1. Use fresh charcoal only if you're doing a brisket or pork butt (or anyhing else that takes a really long time). You can save the used charcoal for use in future grilling.

2. Fill with charcoal to edge of fire ring. Bury two or three chunks of wood in different areas, leaving the center vacant of wood.

3. Light the charcoal in the CENTER AND THE CENTER ONLY. A torch or a fire starter works fine for this.

4. Bring the Egg up to about 175.

5. Drop a chunk of wood directly into the center of the fire.

6. Immediately add your indirect smoking rig, your grate and your meat. The Egg's temp will drop as it adjusts to this new thermal mass.

7. PAYING ATTENTION, bring your Egg up to 225-250 and set it there. It's particularly important that you close down some vents as you get near 200 so that you don't overheat all of this thermal mass -- it takes work to cool an Egg if you overshoot by very much.

For me to stabilize at this temp in a medium egg, I typically have the bottom grate open about a half-inch or so and open the daisy wheel vents about halfway. These are the VENTS (the top is closed and just the vents are open -- halfway). Every Egg is a bit different so just follow your thermometer.

8. Walk away!

BTW, your way works fine if you have gloves that can handle picking up the warm thermal parts (I do, and it sounds like you do as well).
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    i light my egg and wait 5 min to make sure everything is going good, then i put my platesetter in with my chunks, then put the meat on when the bad smoke clears out.