Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat burger...too juicy??

Options
SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up some prepared 80/20 chuck burgers from my local grocery. These were pretty darn thick.

2010-11-13%2012.49.30.jpg

I grilled a nice slice of red onion beside it (that is what is hiding under the cheddar). It was really good, but I had to eat it over the sink it was so juicy. It was probably a little on the medium rare side, so next time I might cook it a little longer and I probably wouldn't cook one quite this thick again. I'll be honest, I was not man enough to finish it.

I always hear people say you shouldn't press down on the burgers because it will dry them out. However, does anyone ever do anything to make the burger not too greasy (like pat down with paper towels before placing on bun)? Does anyone have a secret to tell when a burger is "just right". It seems I can't find the happy place between a tad underdone and overcooked.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    If you are really worried then a thermometer always works -- especially on a really thick burger.

I don't press down as a way to press out the juice, but I do press down with a finger to see how firm the meat is in the center.

3/4" would be a thick burger for me and it is not that hard to tell when it is done.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    SP that is one thick burger you got. Looks good and 80/20 is a way to go.
    Maybe just a little thinner next time.
    Sure looks good....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MobTownAub
    Options
    I agree that is a good lookin burger. I would definitely opt for the thermometer though.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    A 3/4 inch burger is about right for me. I cook them until the sear releases from the grid and flip. The flavor is in the sear or crust. If you like a thick burger, double the patties.

If you like them rare, practice a few times with a thermometer until you get familiar with how they should look compared to your taste.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • howmeisterg
    Options
    Hi!

Just my opinion - I have found that 90/10 beef is a great balance to between high in fat and greasy, and juicy, flavorful yet much less greasy. Just my opinion.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    it may have just been a bit to juicy/greasy because it was cooked to medium. If u cook it a bit longer some of that juice will burn out and probably wont run all over. Try 85/15 next time. You might have to just experiment with it, you will get it mastered! :)
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    that's half the fun..
    context is important :)
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    I agree with howmeisterg. I personally like to use 90/10. It is still juicy but not as juicy and doesn't shrink as much when cooked. I never squish down my patty either. An instant read thermometer is your friend. :)