Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak with Spaghetti Squash and the last Tomatoes

Options
2»

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    well that looks wonderful.. someone posted in another thread about "send me your address i will be there for dinner" i have your address and frequent flyer miles too.
    i am not familiar with rosti ? are they like latkes?

quash looks like oy cooked it whole with the seeds inside still ?

looks like a great day in ohio !
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    That looks quite good. :) As far as our weather. It is in the mid 70's :woohoo:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Thanks Molly, these rostis are just potatoes, onions, S&P. No cheese this time.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Chris, I hope this helps regarding the rosti:

Melt plenty of butter on your cast iron griddle and place a pile of the potato mixture on the hot griddle and cook about 5 minutes until browned, then flip and sook the other side. Note: the rosti on my plate was rather crispy (well, a bit blackened to tell the truth) they should be a dark golden brown. The length of cooking time depends upon the size and thickness of the rosti and the heat. You don't want to burn these. You should cook them like a hash brown cake.

You can add grated cheese to the mixture and parsley and other herbs if you care to....

It is easier to make a big rosti in a cast iron pan and flip it onto a plate when turning, then slide it bake into the cast iron pan to do the other side. To serve just cut it into wedges.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    bill, I think rosti (also spelled roesti) are basically Swiss latkes.

Yep, the spaghetti squash was cooked whole. Then I sut it in half and scooped out the seeds, just like you would a pumpkin (I believe you have exerience with a pumpin recently????). Once the seeds are out, you take a fork and scrap the squash meat and it 'turns' into spaghetti. Easy peasey.

There's alway a place at my table for a fellow egger! :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Dave, you are fortunate to live in such a beautiful place with a great climate. However, I just love the spring and fall in Ohio when it is sweater weather......and I absollutely love the snow! :)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Becca that last pic is great. Love the squash especially. Doesn't look like a regular long neck.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Gotcha....Fancy hoecakes,just use taters instead of cornmeal. ;)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Very nice. I worked too. Kinda busy for a Sunday.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Rebecca those are some prize winning photos, you can sure put up a nice meal & presentation Felicidades, How come i don't have some nice auntie who cooks as nice as you do??? :woohoo:
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Wow!! looks really good Rebecca :)
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    now THAT is a meal! well done... we need an applause emoticon
    context is important :)
  • Foxman199
    Options
    How long did you cook the squash for?
    Did you cook it on high?
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Foxman, I cooked the squash on the main grid at about 300 for 45 minutes.....however, it cooked some more (as you can see from the big brownish/black patch) when I cooked the asparagus and rostis which was done at a higher temp. However, I tried to stash the squash in a cooler area of the grid during that time. It wasn't a very big spaghetti squash either.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Perfect Rebbecca.Nice late fall meal! I see the sun was shining on you!
    Go Buckeyes!