Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Metal detectors

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Any of you guys into metal detectors / treasure hunting kinda stuff.....being retired Sally asked me if I'd like one of these things as a Christmas present...I obviously have no experience with these things or better yet what to look for in purchasing one...any recommendations..or what makes one better than another...this is litterlly the very begin of my research into this, short of looking at the Cabelas catalog, and those go from $199 to $1250, so there's obviously more to it than meets the eye...

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I got bit by that bug many years ago. First I bought a cheapie - my advice is don't bother going that route. Then I built a good one from a Heath kit and had fun with it, but never really found anything of any value. You would be surprised how much metal liter exists right under the surface. I was in a similar recent discussion and I heard that the brand of White is still superior to all others. I understand that some tool rental stores rent them so you might want to go that route for 3 or 4 hours to see if that's a hobby you really want to pursue or go find someone using one in popular public place and have a chat! Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    As for White's products here's their site. White's are not cheap but they are the BGE in that biz.
    http://whiteselectronics.com/info/company-history.html

I just remembered another name to look at is Garrett.
  • WessB
    Thanks Ron...the Garret is the one cabelas has for $1250....that aint happenin..I read a little about the Whites..."minelab" keeps popping up in my research...will keep your info handy for future reference...
  • RRP
    you're welcome - though remember my experience was years ago when those friggen removable pop tops were still in use on soda and beer cans. Those things were everywhere!
    BTW if you read that White's site they have a forum plus a photo album of cool things found to whet your appetite so be careful! :laugh:
  • WessB
    Just starting the search...so I'll read as much as I can stand...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    dork.jpg

I kid, I kid.

I always wanted one, but am afraid it will be something else left hanging in the garage after the novelty wears off.
  • Wess, White's is an American made product and their service and customer support is outstanding. Garrett and Tesoro are also US made, but not as good as White's IMHO. I would avoid Fisher as that once proud name was bought by a huge corporation and things have gone downhill. Minelabs are Australian and make good detectors, but their service has a bad reputation.These are the big 5 in the detecting world.I hope this helps.
  • WessB
    Appreciate the advice...there's a lot more to these things than one would think..
  • WessB
    You're probably more right than you can imagine...LOL..another reason not to go overboard on the cost..
  • Glad to help. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
  • WessB
    any input on the white's coinmaster pro, or is that an outdated model as well????? It's hard to determine if things are new or old when searching with google..
  • Ehe Coinmaster Pro is a new model in White's lineup. It is basically an entry level detector.MSRP is $279.99, but a local dealer could let one go for a shade over 2 bills. White's brought back the Coinmaster name after a couple decades hiatus. Check their website at www.whiteselectronics.com.
  • WessB
    I did check their site after searching for the prizm IV and found out it is obsolete and was replaced by the CM pro...I think entry level or even 1 maybe 2 steps above is all I need at this point..I would welcome any specific models you might recommend..would love to stay away from the $500 range, but do understand you get what you pay for
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    My father was a geologist so we had metal detectors in our house since the 1970's. Basically what you get with price is depth.

One thing is stick with the open head design. Makes marking your spot easier. Also get on a couple of the forums for detectors. You will be surprised how many of the people who are doing it will show you how and let you test their equipment.
  • WessB
    Thanks..I think the forums might be next area to search for info.
  • icemncmth
    I am a little foggy this morning but if I remember correctly you live in MD..

These are some clubs in MD

Maryland

Maryland Artifact Recovery Society Bel Air MD 21015 marylandartifactrecoverysociety.org

Maryland Relic Hunters Association Metal Detecting Club - mdrelichunters.org

South Mountain Relic and Coin Club Williamsport, MD www.smrcc.com

Maryland Freestate Treasure Club marylandfreestate.com

Chesapeake Society of Hunters mywebpages.comcast.net/wolong42/CSOTH/CSOTH.htm

South Mountain Relic and Coin Club members.aol.com/jfo41/ ?

Shore Seekers Artifact and Recovery Club Salisbury MD 21804 www.shoreseekers.org

Eastern Shore Treasure Club Stevensville MD 21666
  • WessB
    Thanks....I did some more research today, and made a few calls..pretty sure I'm gonna go with the White's coinmaster pro..I appreciate all of the help and advice from everyone.
  • RRP
    Bingo! That would be my choice as well! Good features, and not overboard features costing far more - and as I said last night they are the BGE in that product! That way if you want to upgrade or tire of it there's a better chance of getting more of your bait back! Have fun!
  • There are 2 forums that stand out. Try Treasurenet.com and Finds treasure forum. Lots of good info and classifieds for gently used equipment. I just bought a $900 white's MXT Pro for $600 shipped to my door, less than 2 months old and used once. I got that from Treasurenet. Good luck on whatever you decide.
  • WessB
    Will certainly look into those forums..and as stated...Thanks for the advice..I found a local dealer that wants to show me hands on stuff..so I feel I'm off to a decent start..whats the 427 in anyway???? 67 Chevelle SS 396 was my best muscle car..
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Wess,
    I see people walking the beach here in Galveston all the time. Most are White's or Tesoro. I hear Tesoro make a great water proof unit.
    I have thought about getting into this in the past but free time is hard to find.
    Once you make a good find you will never quit. :)
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • That's my fantasy engine. Allmost impossible to find. A Holman-Moody crate engine from 1965 sold for 30k a couple of years ago.
  • icemncmth
    I have a 1967 RS/SS 396 Camaro and a 67 SS 472 Camaro..

Cool to look at worthless to drive..

67's had single leaf spring and the rear ends jump around like kids on crack!