Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Thought/Question

Options
Memphistide
Memphistide Posts: 207
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After brining a turkey for 48 hrs last year and smoking it, I swore that it was as good as I have ever had. Now that I am on here more, I read more about the Mad Max version. I just hate to use a pot on the BGE. Have any of you tried it both ways (w/ and w/out a pot)? Does anyone have other suggested methods of turkey cooking. I am not opposed to anything, but since I am only cooking one next weekend, I want to get everyone's input.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    two tin roasting pans to catch the drippings, the second pan helps keep the drippings from burning for gravey.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I put the platesetter in legs up with a drip pan spaced up on it. The bird sits on the main grid over the drip pan. I separate the front from the back of the bird so I can remove the breast when done leaving the dark meat to finish cooking. I don't carve at the table so no need for the table presentation of a whole bird. -RP

thanksgiving.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    You might be interested in the Alton Brown method thread that was started an hour ago.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    I could have gone a long time without seeing that picture.

I'm sure it tastes delicous but I got 3 more turkey cooks before I'm done and I'm thinking I won't look at them the same way again.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Glad it wasn't just me. :laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hahahahaha
    my thoughts exactly.

i'll never eat turkey again
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have you thought of "spatchcocking" your turkey?
    Cook high in the dome(adj rig or raised), direct, never turn over. Cooks in about an hour+.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    That is just butt ugly Randy...I only cook the breast and now I know why.LOL

Larry

Turkeysontheegg.jpg
  • BigGreenDon
    Options
    Last year followed the Mad Max method with the following modifications:

* XL BGE with platesetter legs up.

* 18" round pan over platesetter resting on 4 aluminum foil balls (to attempt to keep juices from burning). This pan is actually a 1" deep deep-dish pizza pan.

* 20lb bird spatch-cocked on grid above pan.

* Pan starts off half full of water, plus a few carrots, herbs, etc... (If you don't start with a little water, the drippings will still burn).

You may hate to use a pot on the BGE, but it is necessary if you want to catch the drippings for gravy. If that does not matter to you, just leave the pan off and foil the platesetter so it does not get so messy.

I was able to use the contents of the pan to make gravy after the cook (with the help of the giblets that I simmered on the stove during the cook). I thought that the Mad-Max recipe using wine was a bit strong, so this year I will use chicken broth or water (or a mixture of both) in place of the wine.

Spatch-cocking decreases the cook time substantially, and gives the bird even less of a chance to dry out. Just make sure you get that bird off the fire when the internal temps are right (165 white, 180 dark). Some people take the bird off at 160 and rely on it getting to 165 during the rest. I've had parts that seemed undercooked when attempting that, however. I go for 165...

Don
  • Memphistide
    Options
    interesting....we have a oven turkey for gravey, so the drippings are not needed....that being said, I probably don't need a pan.
  • Memphistide
    Options
    i have, but I think I can get more turkey if I do a whole turkey
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    I had to go back and look at that picture again for a few minutes to figure out what you guys were refering to.

Makes me think about the expression from the guy who hated chicken and turkey, " I never thought much about eating somethign that ate with its pecker:
  • THA
    Options
    Spatchcock is a whole turkey. You don't lose any meat just the backbone which you don't eat anyway. All the meat is still there.

It just makes it more floppy and lets the heat get to the inside better so it cooks from both outside inside.
  • Memphistide
    Options
  • Memphistide
    Options
    I have a L, so I thought I could get more turkey on the grill if I did not spread it open
  • THA
    Options
    up to 20 pounder on a large
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Now with a little creative use of the enclosed turkey neck........