Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remind me about Butt times

Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I obviously do not cook Boston Butt enough 'cause I seem to always forget some detail about it. [p]What is the average weight-to-cook time ratio for butt? (How many hours per pound at 200?)[p]Thanks, my dinner guests will appreciate it tomorrow night!

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    stuart,[p]I have never achieved the nirvana of ultra low temp cooking (say 210 or 220), but I don't think you can cook at 200 and ever expect to attain 200 internal. I think it's impossible, or so far down the road that you'd run the stores around you out of lump getting there.[p]I set the dome at 250 so I'm guessing the grid is about 230 indrect, and whether I do one 8-pounder or two, they usually finish in between 17-22 hours. My advice count on 24 hours including wrapped in foil and towels in the cooler. That way, if you get done at 22 hours of cooking, you've still got two in the cooler, and if you get done at 17 hours, you've got seven hours in the cooler. [p]either way, when you take it out, it'll still be hot to the touch and the best food your guests have ever had...[p]Also, make sure to give the coals a poke from below with a bent hanger thru the holes before you go to bed. Then, everything will be right as rain when you get up in the morning.[p]Good luck and let us know how it goes...
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    stuart, How big is your butt? No, that's not right, how much does your butt weigh? No that don't sound right either. You will have to cook it higher than 200° though because that is the temp you want to get to. You didn't say if you were going to slice it or pull either. Need more info. ;^)

• Stuart
    Mark Backer,[p]See? I forgot the temp too! Now that I reflect on the last cook, which was about 9 months ago I kept my dome at about 225-240. Thanks Mark.
  • stuart,[p]I agree that 200 is too low. I think 250 dome is better plus I tend not to worry about hrs/lb as I go by the internal temp. with a probe When it hits around 160-170 all the fat has broken down then I turn it up to 300 so the butt gets up to 190-200. I foil it and put it in cooler for an hr or 2. Pulled nice and easy with just 2 forks [p]Howard

• Stuart
    Howard,[p]I agree that 200 is too low, my memory was in neutral, thanks. BTW while time is not as important as getting proper internal temp, it does help to know that you are placing the pork on the grill EARLY enough to avoid hungry guests and stressed spouses!

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    stuart,[p]That is a true statement. The only thing worse than regular folks waiting for food is expectant folks waiting for Egged food. They KNOW how good it is and they take your errors in timing personally. [p](see my family regarding the turducken on Turkey day).
  • Stuart
    sigmore,[p]Since you asked.....[p]The 8lb butt will be pulled and served to a party of 10 for a business related Christmas party my wife and I are hosting.[p]Menu:[p]Pulled pork served with Flour Tortillas
    Drunken Beans (flavored with vac pac'd Pulled pork from the last cook!)
    Fresh Tamales of Chicken and Beef with Jalapeno
    Home made chunky Guacamole
    Mango Salsa
    Tortilla chips w/ Red Salsa, Salsa Molcajete, and Queso
    Various Christmas Ales, Wine and Coctails
    Desert Tamales[p]Just another Christmas Holiday meal in Dallas! I'll let you know if there are any cancellations!

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    stuart, Sounds great!! I have just about quit eating pulled pork on buns. Likem a lot better on wraps. Have you tried the cheese and jalapeno wraps? Be sure to let me know, Florida is just around the corner.

• stuart,[p]I agree about the times thang, I forget that many here serve their food the day its cooked. I rarely ever do that as I never know when the cook will end, sometimes at 5 pm or 8 pm or 10 pm. Also, I find it tastes better the next day[p]Howard