Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Am Absolutely Sick: an update

Greenhorn Green Egger
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry this has taken so long to update but we are now back in NY :(

For those who didn't read my original post, I was doing my fourth ever cook and the dome fell from the egg and shattered. Here is how it worked out.....

Went to the dealer. At the time, he basically said I did something wrong, call HQ and see what they will do for you. If they won't do anything come back and maybe we can work something out. That is the short version but you all get the gist. It wasn't really a pleasant conversation for either of us. He also added "I'm not going to be out $200." Now I am not a business owner so I am not speaking from experience, but if it were me, I would make sure my customer is not out the $200. One way or another. He stands to lose more than that in business were I to take my business and recommendations elsewhere.

So, called HQ and talked to Bruce. What a great company to deal with! No questions asked, covered it under warranty. I sent him an e mail with the facts and the pictures I took of the bolt which had bent proberly in the band. He replied with an e mail for me to take to the dealer authorizing the replacement under warrantee. The dealer ordered it (this was last Monday morning) and I had it by Wednesday afternoon. The dealer paid $50 of the $75 shipping becuase he was able to add some other stuff to it and he agreed to come out to the house to install it which took over two hours.
Had a great conversation with the dealer at the house. Turns out he used to do a radio show about cooking on ceramic grills. Told me to stop in anytime for advice. Overall, I am very satisfied with how it worked out. Still got a couple of cooks in before we had to leave to come back north.

Did I do something wrong during my installation? Maybe. The bolts were tight. I have the pictures of them if anybody would like to see. Not sure if there is something else I could have done and guess I never will know. I now tighten them about three times a day when I am there. ;)

Oh, and Fidel....sorry about snapping back at you. I was a little upset at the time . My apologies.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Glad it all worked out for you. BGE is a great product and a great company. :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    glad it worked out in the end. While I assume you were joking about checking your nuts 3 times a day may I suggest you buy another set of nuts and run those up tight against the first ones. That's (honest!) called double nutting and assures you your bolts will not loosen. If you want to even be more secure then use lock nuts for the second set!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for the update. I am really glad this worked out for you, and I am glad to hear that BGE is upholding their reputation for outstanding customer service. It sounds like you have a great dealer as well. That was nice of him to offer to do the install.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    The only thing I have seen to cause a lid to fall off when the bolts are properly tightened, is extremely high heat. My sister lit her Egg and had the bottom door open and nothing on top. Pretty standard procedure only then she decided she needed something from the store and headed out forgetting to close down the door or put the daisy on. Her husband came home to find the Egg raging and put the ceramic cap on and closed the bottom vent. The next day when he opened the lid, it fell off. So if you get the Egg hot enough it will expand and stretch the bands and when it cools it shrinks back leaving the bands loose. -RP
  • R R P, I was joking about checking them that much but this was definitely a lesson on making sure it is done regularly

Kind of funny about the double nut. I did ask the dealer about that. He told me there is more chance of having a problem with the band expanding when it is hot than with the nut loosening up a quarter of a turn. But the last thing I saw him do? Put a second nut on it. He said now that you mention it, better safe than sorry ;)
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Very glad that worked out so well for you. I had to replace the bands on mine. Never had such a seamless customer service experience. They are the best.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i think there are occasions when tightening causes the dome to be squeezed upward. the slightest taper (cone-shape) in the rim might be the cause.

we've had posts here where someone's dome did not sit flat, so the bands were loosened, the band lifted against the cast-in-place ridge, and then tightened. and then, as the bolt is tightened even more, the band creeps downward again, making the hinge alignment 'off' again. as though tightening the bands is like squeezing a toothpaste tube, and the dome is the toothpaste...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    as a business owner, i try to believe my customers 100% of the time, but sometimes things dont work out that way. The business owner at the start didn want to loose 200 bucks for something he didnt do, He didnt install it for you. He wanted you to get it covered by the head shed and they did, but dont get mad at the dealer for that particular reason. He had good reason i am sure. You may or may have not done something wrong, if you did then he would have gotten screwed out of 200 bucks, if you didnt which you claim you didnt he would have covered it but the BGE warranty is great, they covered it. maybe you didnt have the dome in the band all the way. maybe it was defective, in the end it doesnt matter you got your dome so you can cook :)
  • glad you're back in business and i would like to see the pics ..
    thanks
    bill
  • OK. I will post the pics tomorrow. I am working until 7PM and have no idea how to post them from my phone :S
  • OK. I will post the pics tomorrow. I am working until 7PM and have no idea how to post them from my phone :S
  • thanks tom.. i post about tightening bands and bolts before the major cooking holidays and will be doing so again this friday night,, ok if i use your picture in my post?
    bill
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Glad to hear it worked out for you. My opinion... Bruce is just AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I agree, Bruce us awesome!

Bill feel free to use my pictures. Want me to go ahead and post them or just email them to you?
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Excellent service is.............PRICELESS !