Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using the Egg again...

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

Well, I said I would cook something this weekend and I did...nothing fancy, just a few wing pieces. First dumped a package of frozen wing pieces in a brine and let them soak for about 2.5 hours. Then cooked direct, raised grid at a low fire (initially about 225) using four different rubs...here they are right at the start...
S111210-01.jpg

Over the next 2 to 2.5 hours the dome temp gradually rose to about 325 for the last 15 minutes...here they are just before taking off the Egg...
S111210-03.jpg

Turned them maybe twice during the cook and the plate is full...
S111210-06.jpg

and of course the required closeup...
S111210-07.jpg

Basically did it all myself (with EggHatter keeping a close eye on me) except for carrying the bowl of wings to the Egg and then the plate full back to the house...haven't rigged up something to have a flat surface on the walker to help carry things. Once these came off we headed to my son's house to share the wings (which unfortunately meant no leftovers).

Still continuing to improve and plan on serving as a Judge at the KCBS Plant City Pig Jam next Saturday (11/20).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Perhaps some sort of hanging board that hangs down from the walker side bars?

Wings look great and I know they tasted even better Jay!
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Bobby:

Good idea on the walker side wing...but I only plan on having the walker maybe another week so I'll just make do with EggHatter carrying the items I can't! :laugh:

Thanks on the wings...they were very tasty!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    They look great! Way to go! Hope the healing and recovery is quick.
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Hoss:

Thanks! Recovery not as quick as I would like, but happy so far with the process.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Jay, Glad to see you improving! Next weekend sounds great.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Egghead-Sooner
    Options
    does brining the wings for a few hours really make a noticeable difference?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great to hear your coming along fine. Have fun at Plant City, Fl. Tim :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Glad your doing better Jay, have you punched the therapist yet? :whistle: :laugh:
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Molly:

Thanks for the thoughts! The Pig Jam is fun...have been a judge for the past 3 years.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Hi Jay,

Those wings look great. Glad to see you back in the saddle. You can't keep a great egger down! Cheers to a speedy recovery.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Jay, I have an extra set of eggmates for the medium you can mount on the walker B)
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Does brining add to the Wings ?

Thanks.

Gary
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Egghead-Sooner:

In my opinion it does, especially when cooking them for as long as I did. I tend to brine almost all of the chicken I cook. I feel it does help with retaining moisture. I did check a few of the wing pieces internal temp and they were all above 185, some above 190...but still a moist as could be.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Tim:

Thanks for the good thoughts...Plant City has always been fun so I expect it to continue.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Pat:

Thanks...glad I'm getting better too! I haven't punched the therapist yet (she is about 5' tall and weighs maybe 100#), but I have occasionally let her know what I think of the exercises...some of them really HURT!!!! as I'm sure you & Wendy (mostly Wendy) are aware of! I still have quite a bit of swelling in the knee so it is making some of the exercises more difficult (and painful). On Friday the therapist was hoping for 90 degrees flex, but I was only up to 88, but that was better than the 80 on Monday. A little improvement each day is all I'm asking for.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning SmokeyPitt:

Thanks on the wings comment and for the good wishes...it is a painful recovery, but happening on track so it will eventually be great.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Gary:

I think it does (and I guess that is all that matters in the end) especially when cooking them for as long as I normally do. I will usually brine all of the chicken we eat as I feel it does help with keeping the chicken moist.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• eenie meenie
    Options
    Jay, so glad to see you up and egging again! :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Looks Great Jay!! trying to talk Neil into going up to the Pig Jam.. he says we have to much going on LOL :( which means work.. doing new floors in the bedroom of the rental down here... maybe if I helped him it would get done? We will look you up if we do! Hugs and glad you are up and around :0
    Just mapquested it and it is under 2 hours... looks like I need to help lay flooring LOL
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Jay,

It's great that you're up and around. With or without a walker.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Nice to see you back at the Egg Jay.

Wings this week, shrimp burgers next week B)
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Gary, I agree with Jay and brine most of my chicken. A good 2-3 hour brine on breasts transforms them almost to another cut of meat. Scott
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Rebecca:

Thanks for the kind thoughts! Good to be Egging again (with some help from my much better half).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Frank:

Not sure about the shrimpburgers...those are a bit more work intensive, but glad to be back at the Egg.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Julie:

The floor will always be there...Pig Jam only happens once per year! Come on up and have some fun...it is a very enjoyable event.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Steven:

Thanks...it won't be long that I be rid of the walker and probably using a cane for a few weeks after that.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Well, ain't you something!!! You must be coming along pretty good. Not only did I not feel like cooking, I didn't feel like eating by this time after surgery.

But as it turned out, I was having some problems with the pain meds. That and not eating made me anemic which I learned isn't a good thing.

But Nurse Judy got me back together and I'm doing pretty good.

Glad to see you up and about.

Spring "Not Quite Ready For The NFL Tryouts" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Evening Jay,

Sounds like things are going well, really good to hear. Chicken looks perfect. ;)
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Leroy:

I know what you mean about not feeling like eating...I've had that problem to some extent and yes the slight bit of anemic. Have been taking an iron pill for about a week now which seems to help some. As for the pain meds, at this point I have only taken a couple of Percocet about 45 minutes before each therapy session and occasionnally a couple of Extra Strength Tylenol...the pain hasn't been as bad as I was expecting (except during the "torture" sessions). Nurse Kathy has been going above and beyond in taking care of me...glad I found her!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Adam:

Thanks!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL