Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instant Read Thermometer

Options
Harris Buck
Harris Buck Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never used one but am warming to the idea. I see reviews all over the place and frankly its confusing to know what to believe.

Can someone give me a sure-fire winner? If I can order it online and have it delivered this week that's even better.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Thermopen, no doubt the best. Ping "Mollyshark" on here for the best deal :)
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Here is a post I did comparing several types of thermometers last November.

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/11/probing-questions-about-thermometers.html

I have a Thermapen but the Taylor Weekend Warrior is a close second and way cheaper.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Harris Buck
    Options
    This is just what I was looking for.

I really appreciate it.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Harris - I own two Thermapens and used them for a long time. I bought an MTC and a 113-151 probe from Thermoworks
    for $73. (The Thermapen costs $96). The MTC w/113-151 probe has a two second response time and the probe is MUCH thinner.

I rarely (if ever) use the Thermapens any more.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Thermopen...Hands Down the best I've ever used.
  • Egghead-Sooner
    Options
    Thermopen is simply the best. I've bought the cheap ones from Walmart or Bed Bath & Beyond. Used the analog models. It's a bit pricey (but you can get a deal from Cookin Biker), but aside from getting a large bge, the thermopen has heavily influenced my gained cooking success. Want a perfectly cooked med-rare ribeye or beef tenderloin? Want to know when your thanksgiving turkey is cooked to 165 in the breast and 180 in the thigh? Want to cook a juicy burger to 165?

This takes the guess work out of knowing when your food is done and has been perfectly accurate every time. I've owned mine for going on 2 years now, and just for kicks whenever I calibrate my dome temperature probe, I'll put the thermopen in and of course it reads 210 degrees in a second! And my wife recently used it when she made a batch of fudge on the stove.

I probably sound like a infomercial salesman, but I honestly love the little thing!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC06917-2.jpg

I second that, they are a good value. I bought the same probe as the Thermapen has and also the mini probe. I use the mini almost all the time.

If the brain fails or should you break a probe you just buy that individual item. (less than $40 each) The MTC is water resistant and I like the fact you just unplug the probe to wash it. It also has a built in magnet.

DSC07095.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bluedot
    Options
    The most important lesson I have learned here is to cook to temp, not to time. I use a Thermapen religiously. I have nothing but praise for the thermapen even if it costs a few dollars more. You can't go wrong with the Thermapen.
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    fieroguy wrote:
    Harris - I own two Thermapens and used them for a long time. I bought an MTC and a 113-151 probe from Thermoworks
    for $73. (The Thermapen costs $96). The MTC w/113-151 probe has a two second response time and the probe is MUCH thinner.

I rarely (if ever) use the Thermapens any more.

Fieroguy, why did you buy the MTC in the first place? What was the thermapen not doing? Or what does the MTC do that the thermapen doesn't?
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    The MTC is faster reading and is somewhat waterproof. The Thermapens available at that time were not even water resistant (learned that the hard way). Also, the probe on the MTC is MUCH thinner.
  • scottcrazydog
    Options
    I'm new to the BGE and have found out that a good thermometer is the key. Question is thermapen or thermowand?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    In terms of speed, accuracy and range I haven't seen anything that beats the Thermapen.  There are some that are getting close. Biggest issue is that the Thermapen is pricey. Some of the others are close in performance, but less expensive.  The Thermapens do have a proven track record as well built, long lasting devices (mine is almost 8 years old and is used every day). 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I had a thermapen. I loved it but had to replace it and I bought a thermo pop. For my use at home the extra money and the speed difference isn't worth it to me. I love the thermopop.
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    I have a thermopop and love it...  It's not quite as fast as the thermopen but it also isn't nearly as expensive.