Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Turkey on the BGE?

Options
DMurf
DMurf Posts: 481
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am not a person that stuffs turkeys as a method of cooking, I have been this way for 23 years just chuck some onions and seasonings in the cavity and call it good. I do like stuffing, what I typically make comes out of a box, but do not want to deal with the extra time to cook.

Yesterday I got a recipe that places the stuffing under the skin of the turkey and I thought that was a great idea, then I saw that the turkey had been butterflied, spatchcocked, so that it would cook quickly. The even had instructions for grilling! Wow, now being a guy I don't always follow the directions, ok make that never :blush: but I did follow most of them.

Here is photo of the turkey with the back bone removed and the stuffing under the skin ready to go on the grill...
StuffedTurkeyBefore.jpg

and here is the bird ready to come off...
StuffedTurkeyAfter.jpg

I would have been very proud to serve this at the Thanksgiving feast, and my do so have to see what plans are changing. If you would like the recipe here is the link to Epicurious.com for all the details.
David
BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks good!! How was the stuffing?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    The stuffing was on the side of OK not great. Should have used a little more salt and some dried sage along with the fresh. The ricotta makes it very creamy and probably helps to keep the turkey moist. Rather than use the crustless French bread I had a loaf of No Knead bread I had made earlier in the week and used that.

Still very good I would recommend using your favorite stuffing recipe though.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I wondered about the ricotta in there. Interesting ingredients. I also love a sage dressing.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE