Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey T's rings

bbqjew
bbqjew Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
does anyone that has a set of these, know the diameters of each of the holes? I have a stoker (that is in storage as well as most of my belongings) but am looking to do a low and slow, and thought that i might try and make a set of these to help out with the temperature control.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mark

Comments

• Mark:

I have a set for the Large and for the Small. As it's the middle of the night, I can't get to them right now. If no one can help you, shoot me an e-mail to remind me and I'll get the dimensions for you.

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Does this help?

BGE, Rings, Mickey "T"

MICKEYTRINGS.jpg

Recipe Type
    Equiptment/Toys

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Mickey "T"

02/13/07--Richard,

It's not a hard wood it's a plywood.

Finland birch or maple. $3.25 a sq. Ft. 5/8" thick.

Increments were in 1/8 ths

Mick

Mick Tinnon

President, GC Dies

Warrenville, Il

2009/10/05--- RRP--No problem - I took it (picture) and posted it years ago and when Mickey asked me for the access and I gave it to him to use. What some people might not know about Mickey is he and his BGE were featured in a Wall Street Journal article years ago about Chicagoans who have lodges up North and in this piece Mickey was shown egging in some deeeep snow one weekend he had gone up there by himself.
  • bbqjew
    bbqjew Posts: 34
    Thank you. I assume the rings start at 1/8 inch and work there way up.
    That helps. I will let you know how it works out.

Mark
  • Are there some instruction on how to use them.
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    For those of us that haven't been around as long, what are they for?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have never seen them in person, but my understanding is that they go on top of the dome and instead of adjusting the vents you just change the tops until you get the air flow you need to maintain whatever temp.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    BINGO - the only real problem is remembering to take them off when you open the lid - seriously - cauz they fall off! :laugh: Actually of my 11 rings I only ever use 3 of them and they allow you to lock on to 300 to 350 very easy.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Nice, thats kinda what I thought they looked like they were for but wasnt sure. Thanks for answering so quickly.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    just so you'll know the rest of the saga - Mickey then started playing around with the idea of an adjustable one and address the falling off issue! He made a couple prototypes he called a Wing.
    IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

Then some wise-guys started pimping him that all he had created was a wooden daisy and he dropped the project and pretty much left this board for good. That was a shame as he was a good guy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I used the rings and most of the variations. When Mick 'retired' from ring making I started making my own.

Ended up with this design which I have used for a number of years. NO falling off.

Wave2.jpg

Wavemk52.jpg

Wavemk56.jpg

And before you get your panties in a knot, MickT put his seal of approval on the idea.

Spacey