Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

XL Dome Geometry

rutilirutili Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

And thank you in advance for your input.

Yesterday I had a Small and a Large BGE. Today I sold my large. I want to buy an XL.

What is the story with the XL design? How do I know when purchasing the XL if I am getting the newest and most improved? Is there a new design coming soon?

Thanks You for Your help,

Joe

Comments

• BashBash Posts: 1,011
    Several differences. The handle is much larger, and the hinges are different. Also the fire ring is different.

From The Ceramic Grill Store: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101&Itemid=231
    How can you distinguish the old from the new?

• Original Design: With the original design, it is 2 inches from the top of the fire ring to the base’s felt rim and there are six shallow dimples on top of the fire ring.
    • With the new design, it is 3-inches from the top of fire ring to the base's felt rim and the top of the fire ring has three deep notches and three shallow dimples.

The dome is taller on the new, although it may be hard to see that unless you have old and new side by side. There may be other differences as well.

Your dealer should be able to point out the new features if he has the new ones in stock.
  • The taller dome came after the changes outlined on the CeramicGrillSuperstore web-page. My XL has the new grid depth, but I've got the shallower dome.

The shallow dome has not been a limitation for me, but folks that run multi-level setups above the felt-line may run out of headroom.

Don
  • I just took delivery of an XL yesterday - I ordered it last week. I was told by my dealer that the new dome has been out for "a while" and that stock moves quickly and all XL eggs in stock at her distributor were the new dome design.

Just ask when you order to make sure the one you get is the new dome design.

The firebox is also a new design and has a slit machined into it which helps prevent firebox cracking due to expansion/contraction stress.