Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Biggest Turkey on a Large?

Drjim
Drjim Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking at doing a 16 pounder. I usually do it vertical, but can put it in a v-rack. Any opinions?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    23# right on the main grid of a "large" egg...if you do a search you'll fine countless possibilities...16# should fit in a v rack fine..assuming you have a large egg..
  • Jim,

It should fit easily on a v-rack in the large. Platesetter with legs up, spacers under a pan and the bird on a v-rack in the pan.

Another option I have used on a large bird:
    1) Remove the fire ring
    2) Platesetter (legs up) on the firebox rim. Spacers, 9" cake pan, turkey in a vertical rack in the pan. I could touch the neck easily through the top opening. Cooked at 350* and it came out perfect !

Good luck !
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I did a 21 pounder last year. No problem.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    FWIW the instructions say the Large will hold an 18 pounder. I did an 18 pounder last Christmas and felt like I could have gone slightly larger. I doubt vertical would work but the setups suggested above will work just fine.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    twice I've egged a 24+ pounder in my large - both times in a low slung rack on its back in a pan. Just remember to remove your dome thermometer by removing that spring on the inside (AND throw that spring in the trash!) before closing the dome on your bird, re-insert the thermometer and rock on!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    :) I've crammed an 18 lb'er in a medium before,it shouldn't be a problem to get 16 lbs in a large :)
  • 24 lb. turk on the grid, on the plate setter with a drip pan...
    About as big as will fit!
  • 28 lbs in a v rack. Touched the sides of the egg and was stabbed by the thermometer, but it came out great!