Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Turkey Yesterday

jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Removed the backbone and breastbone from a 10 pound turkey Thursday morning and brined it in Ruhlman's poultry brine recipe. Slathered it with a mixture of butter, DP Shakin' The Tree, granulated garlic and chipotle. Cooked on the grid, with the plate setter, 350ish for a little over 2 hours. Delightful. Sorry, no pics. Not sure the presentation would be a hit on Thanksgiving, but for "just a turkey", this is how I'll do it from now on. Getting out the breastbone is significantly more challenging than getting one out of a chicken, but the process works exactly the same.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Spatchcocked is the way I have done for the last 3 Thanksgivings and Christmas.
    I go high in the dome and direct.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jeffinsgf
    I thought about raised-direct, as that's how I've been cooking spatchcocked chicken, but I chickened out, and put the plate setter in. I'll try it raised-direct next time. Thanks!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This is my turkey:
    Kona hard to find, use expresso ground fine instant.
    VERY GOOD on Turkey.... done many times, the idea from MaineEgg.

Rub, Kona Coffee, Hungry Man/Richard
    INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup salt (I cut from 1/2cup)
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup ancho-chili powder
    1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Kona coffee
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    1/4 cup ground black pepper
    Procedure:
    1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container.
    I use on spatchcocked turkey / direct at 350/400 high in dome....Keep uncovered in fridge overnight. Cook skin side up,do not turn.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Here is a 16# spatchcocked turkey I cooked a couple of years ago and it turned out really good.
    Larry

November07011.jpg
  • thanks for the pic's! i'm going to try this for thanksgiving and at 1st i had a hard time trying to figure out what everyone was trying to describe as there method for cooking the bird

Keep uncovered in fridge overnight is this to dry out the skin???

it seems the juries out on the platesetter in or out???

i'm a newbe and pic's go along way, so thanks again
  • jeffinsgf
    Uncovered in the fridge for several hours let's the salt equalize if you use a brine and leads to crispier skin whether you use a brine or not.

Raised grid direct or normal grid height with a plate setter...either set up will work.