Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs . . . Again (long)

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Baby Back Ribs

This time I tried cutting my cooking time. Instead of three hours and one hour foiled I gave them two hours and one hour foiled. I used my DigiQII to control the egg for the most part and had it set for 300º.

My usual rib set up with plate setter, drip pan, grate and V rack. Foil shields in the grate between the feet on the plate setter to help eliminate hot spots. Do not place any shielding directly under the dome thermometer or it can mess with your readings!
DSCN6732A_640.jpg

9.44 pounds of Baby Back Ribs from Sam's Club, brushed with yellow mustard and coated well with rub. These were cold from the frig when the went on the egg and it took the egg just about an hour to recover.
DSCN7234A_640.jpg

After one hour . . . the egg had pretty well recovered it's pit temperature and I started spraying them with an equal mix of apple juice concentrate, cider vinegar and Texas Pete's Garlic Hot Sauce every twenty to thirty minutes. I think I rearranged the ribs once during this time so that none would get too well done.
DSCN7248A_640.jpg

After two hours I pulled them to foil them . . .
DSCN7252A_640.jpg

In the past I have used Parkay Squeezable Margarine and had good results. This time at the suggestion of Buster Dog BBQ I tried butter and like it. Everything is better with butter! The other goodies in the foil are brown sugar and honey. This was inexpensive honey, it was dark in color and was quite strong in flavor. I thought it was great for this cook.
DSCN7256A_640.jpg

I place the rib's on the foil so I can see how much of the goodies to put down and then flip the ribs over on top so the meat side is down and in the goodies.
DSCN7257A_640.jpg

Wrapped them well . . .
DSCN7260A_640.jpg

. . . and stacked them in the egg any way they will fit. As the cook progressed the egg was creeping up in temperature. I am guessing that it is because the ribs are now hot. When the temperature reached 325º I cut it back a little but didn't really worry about it.
DSCN7261A_640.jpg

One hour later they were done. The brown sugar, butter and honey make a great sauce that is worth saving. It is very good with your favorite BBQ sauce.
DSCN7264A_640.jpg

Plated . . .
DSCN7269A_640.jpg

. . . juicy and tender. They still had a little stick to the bone but were far more moist then ones I have cooked in the past.
DSCN7275A_640.jpg

I was ready for a second opinion on them so I took a couple half racks to a best friends house where he, his wife and I had them for dinner. They both thought they were excellent. I think I am making progress with Baby Back Ribs! ;)

Blair

Comments

• Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    Looking grea!

I like the idea of cutting the racks in half. Seemed like it was a nice comfy fit for them on the inverted V-Rack?
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Wow, those look delish! Enjoyed reading the process, thanks
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Jason

Thanks, that is the best way to fit them on my medium egg. The inverted V Rack holds the six half racks perfectly. Because the ribs are up on edge the high side is in greater heat so you have to watch them so that top edge doesn't get to dark. These are my best Baby Back Ribs yet. :)

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Julia. They may have cooked for three hours but it took about twice that long to get everything ready and done. You could say I'm all Tucker'd out! ;):lol:

Blair

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    DEM darn ribs give me fits!!!I REALLY don't like em,so it makes it even HARDER to cook a good one!IMO! Yours look MITEEFINE!I agree,if parkay is ok, BUTTER is AWESOME!!! ;)Parkay is to butter what Bacos are to REAL bacon bits!!! :)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Hoss, I don't know why these ribs are such a puzzle but I have been working on them all summer and am just now feeling like I am making real progress. My best friend thought these were excellent and he is pretty particular. :)

Blair

• Hoss
    Options
    Well,they sure look YUMMEE.I may send you an email and try to bribe you outta all the particulars. ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hahahaha, I thought I had covered all the particulars! Feel free to ask any questions Hoss, if I can answer them I will be glad to help. :)

Blair

• Hoss
    Options
    You can't fool me,I'm too stupid! There are ALWAYS a couple of things ya leave out!!! ;);):)
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Love the BB's! Nice Pic's
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks, I love the Baby Backs also. When I have them perfected I want to try some of the other ribs. I have seen some beef short ribs that looked interesting. :)

Blair

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Ribs look great.
    Gonna try some of these quicker cooks
    Thanks for the post :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    That does it Blair i'm coming to Fort Myers Florida and I am going to stand in the middle of town and start yelling out Gator Bait until you feed me! :P Tim
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Blair, I think you did it this time. Those look wonderful. I am sure if your picky friend liked them, they were great. Wish I was there.

Have a great weekend.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Hey Blair, those look super! :ohmy: I have to try that honey/butter/brown suger trick. I usually just rub'm and smoke'm, no complaints, but you have raised the bar! :P :woohoo:
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Mr. Holloway, I tried low and slow when I started learning this process and didn't have the experience to master it. That's when I found thirdeye's EZBB Ribs and my luck started to change. This is my shortest cook time so far.

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Tim, good luck finding the center of this town, this is Florida and some of these towns are just sprawl. If you stand still for long yelling Gator Bait your likely to find yourself tied to a stump out in the middle of the swamp on a dark moonless night, someone is going to think your volunteering! :laugh:

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Faith, I hope we can get together for ribs one of these days, these are getting good enough to share. Hope you have a great TGIF and weekend my friend. :)

Blair

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    :woohoo: :lol: :woohoo: :lol:
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Frank, I had good help and advise with this method, thirdeye's EZBB Ribs got me started on the shorter two stage cook time. Watching Johnny Trigg on TV is where the goodies in the foil comes from, I figured if Johnny Trigg could do it so could I, LOL. thirdeye in his infinite knowledge on BBQing not long ago posted some of the history of this style of foiling. Thanks thirdeye, that was very interesting! :cheer:

Blair

• eenie meenie
    Options
    Blair, it's been fun watching your rib progression both from a technical view, as well as, your personal enjoyment since they are becoming better and better with each tweak! :)

It goes without saying, "nice photos".
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Rebecca, these little rascals are a lot of work regardless of how long I cook them. Success is all that much sweeter as the ribs get better. I have done them once with maple syrup instead of honey, now that my ribs are getting better I think I will have to try that option again, it should be awesome! :)

Blair

• Lovenbrau
    Options
    Blair, did you start the 2 hour cook time from the time the temp recovered or is that recovery time part of the 2 hours? The ribs look great!

Rich
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Rich, Thanks, the 2 hours started when I put the ribs in cold. By the time I got the almost ten pounds of cold meat in the V rack the egg was down to about 200º and was a good fifty to sixty minutes before it was back up close to 300º on the DigiQ. I think my dome temperature was there quicker. I don't know what the temperature of the ribs were but they were nice and cold, I had prepped them and put them back in the bottom of the frig and then went to get the egg set up. I use the DigiQII to bring the egg up to temperature so there is no over shooting. It had stabilized at 300º exactly for half an hour before I put the ribs on. I have wondered if putting them on that cold has a positive effect on my smoke ring. The 10 cfm Pit Viper blower on the DigiQII was working at full speed a good part of that time and was creating more smoke than if it was up to temp. I had loaded the egg with hickory chunks.

Blair

• MemphisQue
    Options
    Agreed on the Baco comparison
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    The look absolutely divine to me!!! I love ribs and struggle with them most of the time. Every now and again I get lucky (and truly that's what I would attribute to any success I have with ribs) :laugh:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Blair this is not just progress.... it's the industrial revolution. Look delicious!!
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Elizabeth, I have been concentrating on Baby Back Ribs all summer and these are the best yet. I just had half a rack for dinner and had to reheat them in the microwave. After a minute and a half on high they were perfect, some of the best ribs I have ever had. Practice is paying off! :)

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Beli, Hahahaha, where I grew up the Industrial Revolution turned into the Rust Belt and left a lot of us unemployed. I like to think of it as a developmental evolution . . . that's funny, that sounds just like progress! :laugh:

Be well my friend,

Blair

• Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    woooow....
    Greaaat ribs