Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chili cook off at work tomorrow

BuxwheatBuxwheat Posts: 727
edited 4:05AM in EggHead Forum
Making a batch of 'Carey's Real Man's Chili' (Sundown). I took second last year. I made that batch w/ venison sausage and ground pork. Smoking wood: hickory. Some folks said they would have picked it as #1 but thought it was too smoky. This years batch is made with a venison tenderloin cut into bite size bits and a pound of ground pork. Smoking wood: apple. Wish me luck. At stake is the pool from the tasters, $2 to eat all you want and judge, and bragging rights for a year.
·

Comments

• Buxwheat,

Good luck. Carey's chili is great!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    But didn't he loose to Egret? -RP
    ·
  • BuxwheatBuxwheat Posts: 727
    Egret won't be there. :)
    ·
  • SundownSundown Posts: 2,902
    did so well last year. From the sound of it you should he the pot when all is said and done. I'll be rooting for you.
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,394
    I wish you good luck! Apple should be milder.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,031
    You're gonna need more than luck with that mess, son! Didn't you see the results of the throwdown Sunstroke tried to challenge me with??!

ThrowdownResults.jpg
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    :ohmy: :blink: :whistle:
    ·
    who's chili is Buxwheat putting in the contest? Hummmm?
    :woohoo:
    I don't see him putting in that mish-mash of "anything in the pantry" concoction you tried to pass of as 'chili'. :sick:

Hope all is well up in the mountains.
    ·
    For the recipe. Winner from last year ineligible so I think we got a good chance. More/different entries though. Hope it's a good batch of "red".
    ·
    I heard the "Fix" was in. :silly:
    ·
  • It was a little spicy for many.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    The old fella spent a lot to "win" that one. But, everyone there knew who the winner was.

But, I feel at his advanced age I should let him continue to think he won

He even had BEANS in it! :sick: not to mention the kitchen sink and tomatoes :sick:

Grape Boy has no shame anyway :whistle:
    ·
    Word is Little Steven is a tenderfoot when it comes to real chili ;)
    ·
  • Hey,

I voted for you...sorry John. Maybe a tenderfoot but the gastro-intestinal tract is titanium B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    A little fire, more often, will make you appreciate real chili.

I should try to get to at least a couple of fests you're going to be at and make you a nice bowl or two of "red".

In no time at all you'll be right up with the rest of us. ;)

Thanks for the vote but, I think it may have been hijacked by you know who.
    ·
    The voting was close, but unfortunately I didn't place. Winner's chili was OK, I mean I could eat it, but 2nd place was bad! Cooked w/ beer and still tasted of beer so I think folks voted for it on that basis alone. I saw a few folks skip mine after reading the sign I had put up letting people know it had both Bambi and Porky in it. (There are some out there that don't eat woodland creatures or partake of the pig, so ya gotta let 'em know ahead of time.) Most of the other entries were all basically hamburger, tomatoes, beans, and just a little spice. No character. I'll make it again next year with chunk beef and pork and hope to convert them to the way chili should be made.
    ·
  • Too bad man. I was going to suggest some clamatto juice in the Sundown style chili. The sweetness hides the heat a bit.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,394
    Srry about that. Some folks simply can't open their mnds t nnew flavors.
    Next year! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    That's a bummer.Better luck NEXT year! ;)
    ·