Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

quail

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know there are a lot of recipes out there for game birds and such, but I wanted the opinion of the forum folk on what to do. We killed 50+ birds this year and I want to cook them on the egg here soon and I am looking for some good recipes. Certainly, I have enough birds to do several styles. Frying is always good but I imagine all things egg are better. Thanks for your help.[p]p.s. has anyone ever done fresh crawfish on the egg. I usually boil but just wonderin.[p]h

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Hudson Denney,
    I have cooked Quail this way.

[ul][li]One method for Quail.[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hudson Denney,[p]I have done quail many times this past season on the mini. I just rub them with olive oil and cider vinegar and sprinkle with salt, lemon pepper, corriander, and rosemary. Use the same method you would cook a steak at high temperature(500°). It usually takes about one and a half minutes on each side and shut the air off and let dwell for about a minute longer. Take off and let rest for a few minutes. I'm sure that you know that there is a fine line between done and overcooked. If you over cook them, they will be tough. I would suggest doing a trial run to get the times down pat before inviting over guests. [p]As far as mudbugs, you can cook them headless like you do shrimp. I fish with them, but don't eat them.[p]Good luck!
    Ashley[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Ashley,[p]I forgot to mention, remove the wing tips, and cut them so they will lay flat on the grill. [p]Ashley

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Hudson Denney,[p]My wife and I did cornish hens once (really enjoyed them) something as follows:[p]Coat cavity and exterior with salt & garlic powder & stuff hens with green onions.[p]Placed bay carrots, onions and potatoes in drip pan with water. Placed hens on v-rack over drip pan and cooked at about 320.[p]I think we cooked them for about an 1 to 1.5 hours. You will need to keep adding water to the drip pan - but it is worth it. The veggies were almost as good as the birds.[p]Jethro

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    Hudson Denney,
    I have cooked quail several times . Marinate in Italian Dressing. Wrap in bacon, secure with toothpick. Moist, tender with bacon garlic flavor.

• Unknown
    Options
    Grillin Bill,[p]I second your suggestion! That's my favorite way to cook quail. I also like to add a couple pieces of jalapeno in each cavity prior to wrapping in bacon. When the bacon gets done, the bird is ready to take off the grill.[p]Steve[p]