Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quiz: How well do you know Southern cooking?

loco_engr
loco_engr Posts: 5,759
edited November -1 in Off Topic
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I got 9 of 10.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i got 4, some were guesses :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    5 of 10. all guesses.
    no banjo for me
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • loco_engr
    I got really lucky to 6, most of which were WAG's

Wild
    Ass
    Guess's

:woohoo: :whistle: :S
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I got 5. None were guesses. As for the OTHER 5, I had absolutely NO idea!! Potlikker?, Hoppin john? Maw? They're kidding, right?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Nine out of ten. Missed the first one on the benne wafers.
  • Fidel
    Hoppin John is good stuff - best if you serve it with fresh diced raw onion. And potlikker (think of liquor as in the juices given off from clams, etc.) is just spelled funny.
  • Michael,

I got 9 of 10. I'm scared :ohmy:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dang, I only got 5-10, and I AM a southern boy...

Actually, I guess I'm more of a "country" boy than a southern boy... but still!!

A lot of those questions were from DEEP southern traditions, but some topics I expected I didn't see!!

For instance, while growing up, one of my favorite breads to have toasted & eat w/ eggs in the morning was "salt rising" (or salt risen) bread. No questions on that!!

Oh, and yet another fabulous country breakfast food to use salt-rising toast with was "CoCo Wheats" - mmmmmmmm!!!

Or another favorite food from my "neck of the woods" was "pepperoni rolls" - these are (in my opinion) the ultimate food, for they can be eaten hot, cold, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, at home or on the go, etc. My Mom used to make a batch for us at deer season, so we could have something to eat while in the woods hunting!!

And then there was "7-Up Salad," another country favorite!!

And then "bread & gravy"....

And then "hard-tack candy"...

dang, I'm making myself hungry!! hehe...

:P :woohoo:
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I missed the same one. I chose Vanilla!
  • Carolina Q
    So, I guess you're from SOUTHERN Ontario! hahaha

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    I fix collards occasionally. But I've never heard the word potlikker. Now I know.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Mustards are better than collards anyway
  • Carolina Q
    Actually, I like kale. Besides, I don't recall ever seeing mustard greens up here. Just kale and collards.

As long as I can avoid grits though, I'm happy. :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    I'll make you a pot of grits that'll have you beggin for more.

Anyone that doesn't like grits simply hasn't had good grits.

A lot of people that claim to hate grits also claim to love polenta. Go figure.
  • Carolina Q
    Never had polenta. No idea how there can be good grits and bad grits. They taste like gritty butter to me. Yum. :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• loco_engr
    Plz tell me more 'bout the "pepperoni rolls"!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    when yer parents explained sex to you that first time it didn't sound very good either, i bet
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    I only got 7. Not bad from a boy from California.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Carolina Q
    Yeah, like I remember THAT! :laugh:

No one has to describe grits to me. I've eaten them a few times (and always wondered why I kept trying). Plus I saw My Cousin Vinny. :P

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Loco - they are a Wild Wonderful West "By God" Virginia invention, and are soooo popular there that they're sold at every convenience store, grocery store, in many restaurants & bars, etc...

Basically, think of a calzone, except calzones are made w/ pizza dough & usually have sauce in them, whereas pepperoni rolls are made w/ bread dough.

There are multiple variations, but the most basic is: Take some bread dough, flatten (or roll) it out, tear some off, place pepperoni, cheese (usually mozzarella or provolone), then "roll" it up & bake (usually about 350-375 for about 30 minutes, or until the tops just start browning a little bit). I usually just fold the bread up from both sides & "pinch" it off, rather than truly "rolling" it up.

But the variations add stick pepperoni, or grated pepperoni, different types of cheeses, sometimes chili sauce, sometimes nacho cheese sauce, etc.

To borrow a description from http://www.pepperonirolls.com/

"Imagine a warm, soft, homemade, mouth watering, large roll jam-packed full of zesty, delicious, slices of pepperoni. That’s just the beginning; now add smooth provolone cheese or spicy hot pepper cheese, and you have a quick, easy sandwich that is out of this world!"

Here's some more info, but also, if you type "pepperoni rolls" into a search engine, you'll get tons of info, history, recipes, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepperoni_roll

They really are DELICIOUS, especially just warm from the oven!!! :woohoo:

So, I hope ya give 'em a try!!!

BTW, I just thought of something - I wonder what they'd taste like if baked in the Egg???? I'm gonna have to try that!!! :P
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee