Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filets with Cast Iron grate

Dunwoody Egg
Dunwoody Egg Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any advice for the amount of time to cook filet mignons with the cast iron grate. The steaks are about 1 1/2 inch thick and I am looking for medium rare. I have large egg.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Welcome to the Forum. Dunwoody, GA I presume? I grew up there.
    Most folks here will agree that one should cook to internal temp rather than by time. I may be mistaken but I believe 125-130ish is medium rare. I prefer mine done a little more.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Personally, I like this method. He mentions approximate times. If you're picky about degree of doneness though, you really need an instant read thermometer.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

Welcome to the madness!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Trex method turns out fantastic steaks. I cooked 7 on my large last night and they were all perfect. I pulled them at 125 internal, let them rest about 6 minutes while I grilled some asparagus and they were right on medium rare. Congratulations on your purchasing your Egg and welcome to the forum. You will enjoy the good eats.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Dunwoody Egg, Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of friendly help here. Tim :)
  • golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Did some 1-1/4" filets on my large Tuesday night. T-Rex and pulled at 125. With a 10 minute rest they were peerfeect.