Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkey! This Saturday

SmokinGuitarPlayer
SmokinGuitarPlayer Posts: 698
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had so many requests / questions about the spatchcock turkey I cooked at the Turkeyfest that I've decided to roast another one this Saturday at the store. I WILL shoot video and hopefully have that posted over the weekend (of the complete process including the butchering hopefully). Also ..if anyone wants to come watch (help?) prep and "egg-insertion" will be around 10 am ish and "eggstraction" and tasting / etc. will be around 12 noon ish. You can show up for one session, both or just hang out all day we don't care.
FB/SGP
Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Good deal- looking forward to a video. It's a bit of a drive for me so I won't be able to make it in person.

This is probably a tough ?...but I have noticed that you have tried several different methods first hand (roasting rack, spatchcock, vertical smoker, beer butt). Do you have a favorite method?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Fred, thanks a lot! I'm now addicted to Fab P! I just ordered more along with a pouch of the B.! I'm hooked. This stuff is amazing. ;) Fellow eggheads, no, I'm not a shill for Fred. But I could be! :)
  • Last year, my wife saw Martha stewart on TV roasting a turkey "spatchcocked" in the oven and asked me if I thought it would work in the Egg ....we got one and cooked it and were amazed ... here are the benefits.
    1. cooks evenly .. no breast done early / etc.
    2. cooks fast - 2 hours or LESS
    3. 14 lb fresh turkey fits Large perfectly
    4. no stuffing, injecting, etc. just rub and roast
    5. this is the most important .... when we did the first one .... we ate a little and the rest went in the fridge for leftovers .... I ate most if not all of what was left over the course of the next 4 or 5 days ... some of it smothered in that "jarred" gravery ... and every time I ate some, I was amazed at how much of the "wood" (charcoal) flavor was in the meat .... I could taste it even through the gravery :-) ... at the TurkeyFest quite a few people commented on the "woody" flavor also ... it really seems to penetrate the meat ... by the way , charcoal only, no wood chips etc.

If all goes well I should have a complete vid on the site over the weekend.

If I keep cooking/eating this much turkey, I'm gonna sleep through Christmas

FB/SGP
  • re: FAB (P,B,C,LITE, ETC) ... actually those are my initials (FAB) but I have nothing to do with the product (except selling a lot of it)... I WAS a friend of the inventor, Joe Ames ...he passed last year ... he taught me quite a lot of food science in the short time I knew him...anyway ... his instructions on using FAB...
    1. use apple juice as the liquid.
    2. inject in layers throughout the meat
    3. do it the day before, put meat in fridge and "massage" the meat every couple of hours. You heard it here.
    FB/SGP
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Hey Fred
    Thanks for all your videos and info
    They are a lot of fun to watch
    Would love to make it down to your store some day :)