Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or Medium as gift

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Mom recently passed away after a lengthy illness. Her main caregiver became like family. She heard about the BGE from me and was VERY interested until she found out the price. I am going to give her an Egg this week as a gift of appreciation for all she did for my Mom.

Should I do a Large or Medium? Since I own both that may seem like a strange question to need to ask. It is just her and her husband at home. I don't know how often they would have guests or children/grandchildren over. I was originally leaning toward the Medium, since it is just the two of them most of the time. I know a lot of people cook a lot of food on the Medium. However, I find the Medium awfully tight quarters for ribs or a brisket. Therefore, I am now leaning more toward the Large for the versatility.

Thoughts?

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I'm with Hoss. Large.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Large for sure.

Nice gesture by the way. ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Been there done that. I am single and have a medium and there are times a large would be nice. I agree with Hoss.

Blair

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Are they avid grillers? Will they be entertaining a bunch of people? I think for someone who loves outdoor cooking and does quite a bit of it, they would prefer the large. I own a large and a medium too and I really love my medium. I also agree with the tight quarters for a couple slab of ribs. As a matter of fact, I've never cooked ribs on my medium for that very reason. I love my medium for burgers, birds, or burgers but prefer my large for ribs or larger cuts. I think they will be very greatful no matter your choice. If you have spare change and it wont put you in any bind then buy them the large. If your tighter on funds and really dont have the spare change to drop, then go with the medium. Your thinking of them and giving them a gift of appreciation is the main thing no matter the size of the gift. They will love it I'm sure. Good luck with your choice.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Sounds pretty unanimous!

Freddie
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I live alone, but often have single guests. Medium plus Mini is my way. I wouldn't trade them in for a large. I love the versatility. Tonite I'm making a duck on the medium, and grilled fruit on the mini. Can't be beat.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    That is such a sweet thing to do. I vote for the large but it might be better to buy the medium and throw in a plate setter for the difference in price. I'm sure she will love either one....you are awesome!
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    My condolences on your mother's passing; the caregiver must be a very special person. My preference is for a large, but either way your expression of appreciation is what really matters. Just another example of what a class act these forum members are. Uglydog
  • skihorn
    Options
    Judy: I was going to throw in a plate setter either way. She had gotten real excited about the Egg until they saw the cost and all of the extras that weren't included. Therefore, I was going to include the plate setter and ash tool. They can then add stuff as they desire.

I just spoke with Patty at ChimChimneys and they have a Large in stock. I will pick it up this afternoon and give it to her tomorrow.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • skihorn
    Options
    Uglydog: Yes, she is a special person. While she was getting paid to look after my Mom, she always went above and beyond and truly cared. She has become part of our family.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    skihorn wrote:
    My Mom recently passed away after a lengthy illness. Her main caregiver became like family. She heard about the BGE from me and was VERY interested until she found out the price. I am going to give her an Egg this week as a gift of appreciation for all she did for my Mom.

Should I do a Large or Medium? Since I own both that may seem like a strange question to need to ask. It is just her and her husband at home. I don't know how often they would have guests or children/grandchildren over. I was originally leaning toward the Medium, since it is just the two of them most of the time. I know a lot of people cook a lot of food on the Medium. However, I find the Medium awfully tight quarters for ribs or a brisket. Therefore, I am now leaning more toward the Large for the versatility.

Thoughts?

Freddie
    League City, TX

Freddie,

Your a classy dude! Either size would work. What a wonderful way to say Thank you.

Jay
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    You are a sweetheart!
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA