Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying Pizza

Bjvanm
Bjvanm Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't have a pizza stone. Can I cook the pizza right on the platesetter?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I would imagine the bottom of the crust would burn if you are cooking at 500+ deg temperature. I would suggest using a pizza pan or screen elevated above the PS with little green feet or balls of tin foil.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You probably won't like the results. The bottom stands a pretty good chance of burning in that configuration.

Try plate setter, legs up, then a grid, then a pizza pan or baking sheet or some other contraption on which to cook the pie.
  • I use a cast iron skillet for a deep dish pizza. Works good. Use it on top of the grate above the platesetter legs down. cooked at 425-450*
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    I don't think you will be happy with the results.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    I tried the platesetter and it does not do my pizza justice.Bottom cooks way to fast. I have a small egg and have to get a pizza stone to fit it. Bottom cooks way to fast. I currently cook pizza in the oven with a stone and get great results. I will put the pizza stone for the egg on my Christmas list.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've never tried this, but seems like it might work. First, place the grid on the fire ring. Then, add a few bricks (fire bricks preferred, but I'll bet regular bricks would work) to approximate the size of the platesetter. Then add the platesetter, legs down. Pizza on top of that.

Due to the mass of the bricks, you'll probably have to let it burn for a while to get it up to temp (500-550°), but seems like it would be worth a shot.

Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bjvanm
    Bjvanm Posts: 25
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.