Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hot tub

Hsbldr1
Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hot tubbing searched the forum ...found no clear directions... would like to give it a try on a couple ribeyes, tried trex reverse sear and just thrown um on the grill liked them all but i hate to leave a rock not turned over.

Comments

• Hsbldr1,

What you want to do is vacuum seal or foodsaver the steak. Get it in some 100* water for about 20 minutes per half inch of thickness. The water should be kept at 100* either by replenishing with hot water or putting a pot of 100* water with the meat and filling the sink with hot tap water. Get it out and on to the hot grill as quick as possible.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Like Little Steven said, eggcept I use a spa that is 102F and toss them in for 45-60 minutes. Steaks usually come out 85 ish.It is great for defrosting also.

HOTTUB.jpg
  • I just use hot tap water and double bag my steaks.. It works.

Steak.jpg
  • Jerry,

Don't get me started about granite now!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    you've already gotten several responses - and ALL of them work, yet here's another! Unless my steaks were already in a FoodSaver bag I merely use a new, cheap, food safe, plastic bag called a bread bag and seal it with a twisty after I squeeze the air out. Then rather than waste water filling my kitchen sink the 3 or 4 times needed to maintain the 100° or above water for the hour that I like I conserve water by using a plastic mixing bowl. Works for me!
    IMG_1653-1.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    BTW I even hot tub my prime ribs this way to produce these wonderful uniformly colored and cooked centers versus the often cold purple red centers. I love my meat rare, but not cold and bloody.
    IMG_1707.jpg
  • Ron,

Just so you know, I'm on a well and heat with a boiler. Through the warm months I need to use heat just to break even :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Steven, didn't know that, but I have to ask - I know you have a nice in ground pool - right? Do you fill that using your well water or have the pool water trucked in? How do you warm it, if needed, during the 3 days each year you guys call "summer" up there in Canada? :laugh:
  • Ron,

I ran some 1" Pex out there so I can heat it with the boiler. Right now I'm thinking about a high efficeiency wood boiler out there to allow me to heat a greenhouse, the pool and heat suppliment the house boiler as well. Energy is going to get expensive in the future.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Good idea! OTOH being a crafty guy are you sure you couldn't climb up a nearby electrical pole and tap into the power grid? :laugh:
  • Nah, we're all underground. You don't want to be messin with the authourity.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sorry - am a newbie. I was surfing the forum and this thread intrigued me. What is "hot-tubbing"? and what is its purpose? :(
  • Maria's Touch,

The idea is to preheat the meat in a safe manner so that it doesn't have to spend as much time cooking. The result is a piece of meat that is done to your preference through the whole steak or roast rather than being well done near the exterior then medium and then to more rare in the center.
    This is done by sealing the meat in plastic and soaking it in 100* water.
    002-26.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thanks a lot for the reply. I am learning a lot from this forum.
  • Maria's Touch,

This is a form of "sous vide" cooking. If you google "sous vide" you will get a better idea of what is at play here. This technique of cooking has become widespread in the restaurant industry and is now making inroads into the home kitchen.

Here's a great intro:

http://amath.colorado.edu/~baldwind/sous-vide.html
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    7a2c3de0.jpg

When Cooks Illustrated first published this method... the salting (or using a salt based seasoning) was step #1 of this method. The meat should be salted about 3 hours before bagging and immersing in the the 100° water for 1 hour. I use a Lockhart (or dalmation) type of seasoning which is canning salt, cracked pepper and cayenne.

EDIT 11-8-10: After answering a bunch of e-mails this morning on this, I decided to clairify that the steak is not dredged or packed in salt for the 3 hours, rather it is just sprinkled with salt (or a salt based seasoing)

DSC08376a.jpg

DSC08378a.jpg

CI noted: "The salt draws juices to the surface of the meat. The juices became a concentrated brine that is reabsorbed into the meat, bringing out beefy flavors and masking livery ones". (this method was first presented as a method for improving an inexpensive steak like London broil, so the "livery" flavor may not be a factor when using some of the more expensive cuts of beef.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Wayne,

Have you seen Little Stevens hot tubbing trick? He gets his sink mostly full of tap water (as hot as it will get) and then put a metal pot in the water that is full of 100* water. That metal pot will stay at 100 for the entire hour without changing or adding water.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you may not need to change out the water, but you definitely use more water than if you simply changed it out, no?

i just use a bowl, fill it with hot tap, and when it gets cooler, dump it out and add some more.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    That sounds like a good method. I started using a small hardside "six pack" insulated cooler for mine, it holds the heat and you can set it out of the way.

My stovetop has one burner called "keep warm" which I use with a corning ware dish when only hot tubbing one steak.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Mr. Gore

For me it's less. Cause I used to use the sink as the 'tub' and now I only fill the sink once, with the pot in it. instead of 2-3 times, without a pot. Also the 1/3-2/3 sink I put in is pretty small on the 1/3rd side and don't really use that much water at all, especially if the tap is sitting ready with hot water.

thanks for your concern tho :)
  • RRP
    Thanks Wayne - that tip is on my radar for Saturday night!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Since microwaves cook from the inside out, why not just nuke it for a minute or two to heat up the inside and then sear the outside?