Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salted/Smoked Salmon

civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a salmon fillet at Walley World and decided to try and cure it. Packed it in salt & brown sugar for 24 hours, rinsed 1 hour, then cold smoked on the egg for 1 hour. Couldn't help but take a little taste and it was very good. However, I vac packed it up and decided to wait a week before tasting again. I figure it is like smoked cheese and needs to rest awhile to get the full smoked flavor. Anyone have any advice or tips with this method? I probably should have smoked longer but my chips in a can started burning a little fast and heating up the egg. I wanted to keep the temps below 80 degrees during the smoke.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I've got some on now with Thirdeye's cure. Let the smoke clear and put them on. They went on an hour ago, temp is 200 and sloooowly rising. I'll temp the fish in 15 min. Just peeked and they are starting to ooze...
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mine is actually non-cooked or sushi style. Temp of the fish is never above 80 degrees. I should have snapped some photos before I vac sealed them.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC00304a.jpg

My fish cure and method is actually hot smoking, which the Egg can easily do at 180°-200°. I do have a box smoker that allows me to keep the temp on the lower end of hot smoking, 100° to 150°.

I've been smoking a lot of trout this year (16 fillets just this weekend) for my fishing buddies.... they will catch 4 or 5 and ask me to smoke 3 of them.

DSC01411a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Civil: Were you wanting Lox/Gravlax? What ratio did you use for salt to sugar? Usually the cure time is 3 days. 2 days if using wild salmon. I also add additional flavors to the cure, such as dill, lemon, etc...whatever flavors you seek. I also give it a one hour soak in spiced rum before packing in the cure. (and trust me, when you see what the rum looks like after this 'sterilization' process, errggh. :blink: ) The spiced rum adds awesome flavors though. I would give you my Gravlax (lox) recipe, but my cookbook rack is still packed from the move. Salt, sugar, dill, lemon....cure 3 days, rinse, then cold smoke AFTER the grey smoke has cleared. Like poultry, the salmon will pick up the smoke super easy. (And I know I am weird, but I am super sensitive to smoked food, so it takes a matter of minutes to get the flavor I want) I am sure it will be great after letting it mellow!!! Keep us posted!! If you want detailed recipe, shoot me an email, and I will dig through the boxes. I'm sure it will be great, but understand too, curing is a process that must be learned, just like egg cooking at it's most basic. I hope it turns out perfectly for you!!
  • I combined some different recipes that were essentually similar in nature. The salmon fillet wasn't very large, maybe 1.5 lbs. I used a 50% blend of salt to brown sugar for the flesh side and just salt on the skin side. The only variation I did was it only sat in the refridgerator 4 hours prior to smoking due to time constraints. A full day would have been better according to the recipes. The books I had suggested only 12 hours under the dry salt cure but again, I needed my sleepy. The fillet was very firm when removed from the salt. Unfortunately, I didn't have any dill or lemon (bad planning) so thought I would try it commando. It was actually very tasty and I'll pull a photo next weekend when I start snacking on it. Thank you for the recipe offer. One thing I am not short on is recipe books and I like to tinker.