Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WebAdmin:Can you add RSS Functionality to this forum?

Options
haywyre
haywyre Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As RSS feeds and Blogs are now taking over the net I was wonder if we will be able to get this functionality to this forum.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    haywyre,
    Perhaps you could explain how this would benefit the forum and how it would be used, etc. so everyone knows why you might want this sort of functionality.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • haywyre,
    Is that compatible with Dongle Crack?
    Because if it isnt, we just don't want any. This forum would be nothing if not for the Dongle Crack. . . .and maybe some. . .RSS to flavor the pot. . . .

• haywyre
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    RSS is an easy way for you to be alerted when content that interests you appears on your favorite Web sites. Instead of visiting a particular Web site to browse for new articles and features, RSS automatically tells you when something new is posted online. [p]Check out the links. I have a client setup to pull recipes of my intrest from Allrecipes.com,Yahoo News and NPR[p]

[ul][li]RSS Feed from Allrecipes.com[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    haywyre,
    That's what I thought. I wonder how many people would use it here. If you aren't already using it for something else, I suppose you would have to start watching your newreader instead of just coming here? If you were already using it, then I suppose you would just add one more source to the list of sources you were already monitoring? If you monitor all the ceramic forums, unless they all implemented RSS, you'd still be visiting multiple places. [p]Also, does RSS allow you to respond from your newsreader, or do you still have to come back to the source to respond?[p]When we gonna have Wiki? LOL![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • haywyre
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]In a way yes, I have multiple feeds setup. For my Browsing I am using FireFox 1.0. It has a feature called Live bookmarks. You create a bookmark and it changes everytime you check if there are updates. And for a RSS Client I am using the new Mozilla Thunderbird. Its an email,newsgroup,rss reader. And when you setup thunderbird as your email client yes you can reply to the RSS feed topic that interests you.
  • ChefDBA
    Options
    haywyre,
    I wouldn't hold my breath. The folks at BGE are great about maintaining this forum but there are a lot of much simpler things to implement long before they woiuld attempt RSS. Maybe have an actual log in system first?[p]Besides a part of the charm of this forum is coming here and seeing who has posted under what topics and who the new folks are, etc. If all you want to do is scan for the particular piece of information you need, then there is google and a gaggle of others out there for you.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    haywyre,[p]I have fallen in love with RSS feeds. I have had the same thought about how cool it would be for this forum to have just such a feed. The live bookmark feature in Mozilla Firefox is worth everyone's (IHMO) time to checkout. You will be amazed with the number of sites that have a RSS feed.[p]Steve-B
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    One more thing... It is a complety transparent addition. So nothing will change if you don't use it.

• UnConundrum
    Options
    chefDBA,[p]I think you're missing the point. The issue of "charm" is a matter of personal preference. Those of us who work on a computer all day long, tend to look at it as a tool that is optimized for information retrieval. Anything that eases and/or speeds up the flow of information is a bonus.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with liesurly browsing the posts, and I'm glad you enjoy doing so. Some days, I do too. But the RSS feed gives some users another way to access the posts, and gather info on subjects of interest. For example.... (boy I'm scratching to put this together) let's say I'm working at home on a big project, and, at the same time, I have a brisket cooking away. When I put the brisket on the egg, I got this feeling that my thermometer is off. I post a question to the forum, and rush back to my project. With the feed, I can go to one place and check for new posts on thermometers, otherwise, I'd have to keep going back to the web page, browsing to the subject, and checking. Or, let's assume I've manufactured the "egg widget." With the feed, I should be able to pull all new posts mentioning "widget", but without, I'd have to browse to the forum, step through all the posts, and make sure I didn't miss any.....

For me, I could live without the feature, but I could also understand where some members would absolutely love the feature. I would think it's worth looking into, if possible.