Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am absolutely sick!

Greenhorn Green Egger
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:angry: Made it back to Florida this week. Cooking on the egg for the second time last night (fourth time since I bought it in September) and the lid fell out and shattered! I knew the design for holding the lid on was flawed from the time I put it together and was nervous every time opened the egg. I had even posted on here about the assembly when I got back to New York. Came down here and the first thing I did was start from scratch. Tightened the bolts until I couldn't tighten them anymore. I knew from reading here and talking to HQ,who I also called about this problem, that you couldn't tighten too much. Anyway, it happened. I spent $800 on this and now it is broken. I installed a $100 ceiling fan yesterday and it had three safeties to keep it from falling out of the ceiling! Why has BGE not fixed this design? I know I am not the first to have this happen. How many others here have lost a lid? How has the company handled this? My dealer opens at 11 and I will be there. Arrgggghhh!!! :angry:

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I don't mean to be rude, but if the lid fell out then the egg wasn't assembled properly. The design is not flawed and it holds in place very well if the assembly is done correctly.

Most likely the band was either not in place correctly - snug against the protruding lip - or you didn't tighten the bolts enough until they bend. If you do this correctly then you can't get the lid out of the band by applying a generous amount of force, and it certainly won't just slip out.

I can't recall of anyone posting this problem where it is not an end-user mistake. If your dealer did the assembly then they should make it good for you. If your dealer is a good dealer then they may help you out either way. Best of luck to you.
  •  
    I know your pain and then some Tom. When I brought my egg home from the dealership and lifted it out of the truck it fell out of the lower band. Even the green rain cap that was inside it shattered. All I was left with was the dome and the fire ring, I never got to fire it up. Sorry to hear of your miss fortune. :(

My dealer said I was SOL.

Good luck,

Blair
  •  
    Hi Fidel

My dealer wasn't a good dealer, I go elsewhere now.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Sorry about your problem. That is a serious bummer. That said, I do not think it is a common problem.

Did you assemble it or did the dealer? If it was the dealer, I would check out some of their other assembled units and see if they have the bolts bent and then talk to them and the mother ship.
  • Fidel, I agree that there will be times that the band will be snug enough for the lid not fall out. But when you follow directions to a "T" and it still C A N fall out, that is an issue. As I said, I installed a ceiling fan yesterday and it has enough safties on it where it will not fall. And installation was simple. I can think of two ways to make the Egg just as safe and foolproof to put together. Either that or require the dealer to assemble it. That way there is no doubt. I am not stupid and am not weak. I have the intelligence to follow directions and the strength to tighten bolts.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    So sorry for this terrible problem Greenhorn Green Egger and it has to hurt.

Now, I'm about 5'4" 115 lb. male. I have 4 eggs from lg. down to mini and all have been put together by me and I have had my first one for about 8 or 9 years and so far (keeping my fingers crossed) no problem with any of them.

I hope you can find a solution that helps make the situation somewhat better. I believe we all feel for your misfortune.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • sorry to hear this and i hope it gets resolved to your satifaction quickly,, my mini broke last winter so i feel your pain. that said.. i read all the responses and strength is not an issue,, leverage is.. bolts have to be tightened till they bend, and bending is the key ,, not tight , tight till they bend others here have lost a dome but that is usually from not checking the bolts and retightening periodically ,, i post about this regularly and recommend RRP's double nut tecnique to prevent loosening,, and they will loosen especially if you do a lot of high temp cooks
    good luck.
    bill
  • You may be small Bob but I wouldn't mess with you. :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hey Tom, that sucks. When I assembled my egg I had to re-tighten my bolts when the egg was hot. The metal expands, you'll find the bolts will tighten and bend as they are suppose to. Hopefully your dealer can set you up.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I didn't infer that you are stupid or weak, I apologize if you took my response that way.

The fact is, yours is not a common problem. If the egg is assembled correctly then the dome doesn't fall out. It's not that there are "times when the band will be snug enough", it's that when properly assembled and the band is not snug enough that it is an extremely rare anomaly. I sincerely hope your dealer takes care of you.
  • Bordello
    LOL
    I May be old and small, not wise to mess with an old guy on the down side of the ladder who doesn't give a sh__ :laugh: No one here but me and my Eggs, hope the hell they car. :woohoo:

A great Sunday to ya,
    Bordello
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Very sorry to hear about your problem. I'm probably in the minority, but I agree that the design needs improvement. Surely they could come up with something more secure.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• We insist that we assemble our Eggs for our customers before they go out the door, once a customer struggles with assembly it is not a good situation for dealer or customer at that point. Yours is the worst case scenario.

We also address how to lift an Egg correctly to not have the bands slip when we help the customer load it into their car.

For all potential Egg customers reading this, if your dealer offers assembly...take them up on it.

My 2¢

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    115 pounds now? That's with lots of rocks in your pockets, right? :woohoo:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    And BiG ones at that. :woohoo:

Cheers,
    Bordello

I go to the V.A. on the 22nd. Maybe it's be 120 with all this non-alcoholic beer. :(

Regards,
    Bordello
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    Hi Smitty, Good to meet you at the American Royal. I assemble ALL my eggs.Not 1 egg leaves my store not assembled. If something happens then it is my fault and I will take care of it.

Larry
  • I also assemble all Egg before they leave the store. I also put a label on the rear hinge that Say's "Do Not Lift Here" That rear hinge makes an appealing handle, but it is a surefire way to pull off the base and cause a disaster.
    The only problems I have had is customers that insist they want one "in the box" and build it themselves.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Hey A$$CLOWN!

Get a dog you lonely Jackhole :evil:

Richard,
  • Jennifer,

I'm a little bigger than Bob but it doesn't matter. I could show you if you ever had the cajones to meet me somewhere. I don't dance if you get the drill :)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Same happened to me about a month after I got the Medium. It just flipped over the back when I had it open. I called the dealer who came to the house the next day and replaced the rings and the top. They said it was out of round. Whatever, they came and took care of it. The one day wait was because there were searing hot coals in it. I put a big round metal tray on top to help smother the coals.
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    I still think that a small lip cast on the gasket side of the ceramics on the dome and base would secure the band with no possible way of slippage! The band would then sit in a "track" of sorts and would be solid as a rock. ;)
  • Hey Dwarf boy. I have three freakin dogs. What the f#@k do you mean calling me an A$$clown, why I oughtta. :angry::whistle:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Steve,

I'd say it's more like 2 and a quarter dogs. :lol:
  • I am glad to see I wasn't the only one-misery loves company. I guess I just didn't have it screwed on tight enough.I bench press 270 but you need to turn that puppy till it can't turn any more-I gotanother dome. If this happens toyou call the store in Tucker,Ga (if your dealer doesn't help out-mine said "good-luck".I'm lucky and live 30 minutes from their HQ, told them what happened and they hooked me up for $80. Turned this one tight-no problems-still nervous but don't forget to retighten fromtime totime-esp after first few times-heat causes expansion