Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first pizza help / suggestions

friscotex
friscotex Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have acquired a pizza stone and am looking for some ideas and suggestions for a successful first cook. I'm wondering if I should get Papa Murphy's for a maiden cook, or go for the gusto ... dough, toppings, etc. Just looking for recommendations on how to make the first experience a good one.

Comments

• I'd go with something you are already comfortable with, then see how the egg can improve it. Once you have a basic idea of what you are trying to create then expand on it and let the egg shine through.

It would be a little late in my opinion to try and make dough from scratch. I like my dough to have a smoother texture and just don't see that happening with a fast rise method of dough making.

Go with the Papa Murphy's and keep your ingredients simple and fresh. The fresher the beeter IMO. Dome around 450 and look for 8-10 minutes per pie. Might want to rotate the pie during the cook to make sure one side isn't more done than the other.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    If you have no experience and for sure want a good outcome, I would go ahead and buy some pre made dough. Just throw on your sauce and toppings. You can cook them various ways and temps. Some cook directly on the stone, some use a pizza screen, some use parchment paper on the stone. I usually cook mine around 500 dome. I use my platesetter feet down and place my stone on the platesetter supported by the little green feet that came with your egg. Mine are usually done between 10 and 12 minutes according on how you want the crust.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I just went back to find my last pizza post and read it. I agree with Mike on the 450, after looking at my post I stated that 450 was better than 500 for my liking due to the crust cooking to fast for me at 500. Heres the link to my post and also a link to a great dough recipe by Zippy. Like mike said though, it's a little too late for making your own unless you want a late dinner. Something else that affects the cooking of pizzas is to make sure your stone heats up in the egg for about 30 minutes.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=887398&catid=1#
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    My pizza's are not up to par on the egg. I have been cooking them on the plate setter. I have a small egg, got it 6 weeks ago, and I have to get a pizza stone to match it. Adding the stone with a gap above the plate setter should improve the cook. My crust is done way to soon versus the top of the pizza. The pizza is ok but I know there is much more room for improvement
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Best advice I can give is to let the egg get nice and hot and clean burnin'. This will prevent the pizza from being too smoky. Fill it to the brim with lump, and let it burn wide open for 30-45 minutes, then choke it back to 450-500 and put on your pie. Don't go far...it will be done quick.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mike - try sliding a pizza pan under your pie when it looks like the crust is done, it buys you an extra few minutes to cook the top better. Good luck
  • check in the recipes section (under baking), there are a few recipes and methods there you can try that aren't hard if you want to do it all. I posted one called "No mixer pizza dough" which walks you through and is pretty easy to do - good luck