Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shellfish Feast Continues - Chargrilled Oysters

Options
Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,972
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought some oysters yesterday. These are from East Point, FL, shucked on the balcony.

PB043573.jpg

I made 5 different kinds.

La Bomba and parmesan cheese
Garlic butter with capers and romano cheese
Garlic butter with sweet cherry peppers and romano
Macaroni and cheese with bacon
Smoked Ham and cheese

Egged at 375-400 dome for 7-8 minutes, til crusty around the edges.

PB043579.jpg

PB043583.jpg

Smoked ham and cheddar oyster:

PB043581.jpg

Homemade mac and cheese with bacon:

PB043582.jpg

Awesome!

The end.

PB043587.jpg
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Which was the tastiest? -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    looks good to me. i dont think ive ever eaten one cooked, something to try :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Randy, they were all good. It was fun trying some new, unusual ones.

The original garlic butter and cheese is a favorite, but the La Bomba ones are pretty tough to beat as well. If you like oysters, you would love those.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    We love oysters but they are a little hard to get here. -RP
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Faith you've got a "faithful" fan in here those are just extraordinary & creative....also....you've got quite a good tooth haven't you?? :P
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I'm coming to visit you so you can wine and dine me!! Kay? :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Wow! :blink: It's gonna take a while fer my head to quit spinnin. :woohoo:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    You are killing me again Faith, I like to just roast them on the grid for about 5min, then pop open and eat w/ a splash of hot sauce.
    We can usually get some right out ot the Homosassa river, otherwise we buy them from Cedar Key. I am anxious to see what Stone Crab is going for at home. I buy from a local dock. Two yrs ago they were dirt cheap, last year a little higher, we will see what they are bringing now. ;) :unsure:
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Very nice. :)
    Another must try on the Egg
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Looks unreal! You inspired me to try it. Where in Cananda do you get the knife to open the Oysters?
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Oh my heavens, stop! You're killing me with all this seafood. Those look incredible. Just tried char grilled oysters for the first time last month. Deeelish.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I have no idea where to buy the knife in Canada. Ask at your fishmonger. I use one similar to this:

http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=20588&cat=451&page=1

I would also recommend a special glove for beginners so you won't slice your hand open. Oysters are easy to shuck if you know where to put the knife. It takes a little practice, but my shucker friend is now very good at it.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Faith, I have never eaten an oyster that I particularly liked. Yours make me wonder why that is. 'Course, it could be that your cooks always looks wonderful!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Wow - that's quite a variety. I'll bet the mac n cheese oysters were yummy (well, really I'll bet they were all good). :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Wow Faith, five flights of chargrilled oysters! :) Great appetizers.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Faith you are killing me those look tremendous!! I love Oysters and yours had to taste great!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thank you, Dale and everybody. Sorry, didn't mean to kill everybody with the seafood overload.

Give the oysters a try. They turn out good no matter what you top them with. The mac and cheese ones were better than they sound. LaBomba oysters rocked. Don't forget the cheese, that's what makes them.