Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid keeps coming off large

Siltz
Siltz Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
The lid fell off my large when it tipped over while moving it. I bought new bolts and put the lid back on. Tightened the bolts very tight. Tonight, while cooking, the lid came off in my hand as I was checking the food. The band that holds the lid slipped off and there I was holding the lid, bands and side tables. Sat it back on as best I could and continued the cook. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    It is not tight enough!
    You might try to re-tighten after the egg gets good and hot. The bands and bolts expand when heated.
    The instructions say not to worry about over tightening, so don't worry about it.
    Are your bolts bent? The bolts are supposed to bend as you reach the proper torque.
    Hope this helps B)
  • Siltz
    Siltz Posts: 11
    Both bolts were bent. Thanks for the advice Capt. Frank. Off to get new bolts and will try again.