Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's up with this trend toward rare?

Options
2»

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I use to work at a French restaurant and they would open the joints.

From what I remember it was to keep the legs from drawing in when cooking.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i think i told this story before...

we went to my parents' (wife and I) for dinnr once. got there and had a couple gin and tonics. the roast was pretty much already done, but mom said "why don't we go golfing?" she put the roast on at about 250 to "keep it warm" and suggested we go play golf. went to a par-three course and played a quick 9 holes.

came back and essentially needed to slice it with a table saw
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • kmellecker
    Options
    I didn't know that...would explain why I can order prime rib medium rare, have it look medium rare and have it taste medium well. Another good reason for cooking on the Egg rather than going out. Thanks for the info.
  • stike
    Options
    i dunno, man. yer saying you have figured a way to deliver a commercially "pretty" red piece of steak (red all the way across, not just dead-center) that is 150 degrees?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I still have a bunch of prime rib in the freezer from the last time they were on sale cheap. Next one I do I'll go to 150* Wifes family likes medium/well done and they won't eat a low and slow at 150* because of the colour. Tastes the same but they can't get over it even if I use two Thermapens to prove it. I want to do another one at 200* anyway. I didn't figure it out, I just know that it is very common in restaurants to slow cook beef to maintain the red colour.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    kmellecker,

I think the thing that gives it away is the juices don't run red like a rarer piece would.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    What does it mean to open a joint? -RP
  • stike
    Options
    i know that slow cooking allows the meat to heat up more evenly. Trex, or even sousvide (probably the extreme).

if you slow cook half a roast at 250, until the internal temp hits some predetermined number, you''l have more evenly cooked beef than if you roasted it at a high temp to the same internal.

but i gotta bet that the meat color is almost solely determined by its temp.

a slow cooked roast at (for ex.) 140 in the middle will have less grey or overcooked meat around it than its twin which has been cooked at higher temps, but i just have a hard time believing you could take the thing to 150 and it would be a different color than one at 150 cooked at different roasting temp.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I haven't done a roast at higher than 250 in years. They always come out red in the cross-section even if I overcook. That is the main reason I do them low. Very forgiving if the cook messes up.

This was only done to 125* at 200* but it would not look much different at 150*

DSCF1093-1-2.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    This would be a good reason not to mess with undercooked pork. I remember this parasite from College in Animal Pathology class. Have fun with this little friend if you are so unfortunate to ingest it in undercooked pork that was a carrier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinella_spiralis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Andrew,

It is my understanding that the little bug is pretty rare in swine now. I cook and rest pork to 145*. Well except that one time when another guy and I ate some raw after it spent some time in an airport luggage storage. I understand that 145* is enough to kill it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NC-CDN
    Options
    It may be rare. I don't know. I took this stuff back in the 90s. LOL. Either way I won't take a chance on something like that. Steak on the other hand. Yum.

Raw after spending time in airport luggage storage? Yuck. I won't even ask.
  • stike
    Options
    so 125 makes it look like a mess of crap. got it. i will write that down :laugh:

(just kidding, pal o'mine)
  • stike
    Options
    just humo(u)r him. he's canadian. he's probably using kelvin thermometers or whatever the heck they use up thre
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    NC-CDN: Though you may not be sweyed or convinced, here is one article you can read just to ease some of your concerns:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingfaqs/f/faqtrichinosis.htm

Try a search of Trichinosis death temp in google. There are hundreds of articles. 137* is confirmed, though many use the 'around 140*' approach. If I can find some time later, I will see if I can find something direct from the CDC or FDA. Trich in pork has virtually been eliminated in the States anyways, but always better safe than sorry.
  • stike
    Options
    hasnt been a case of trichinosis from commercial pork in decades.

trich today is found in game and home-raised animals...

even so, trich is killed instantly around 138
  • kmellecker
    Options
    I used to travel extensively and have ordered medium rare prime rib more times than I can count. All looked basically the same but the taste varied from rare to past medium well. I have to admit I do not recall the color of the juices on the over cooked meat but your explanation would account for the discrepancy between color and taste.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Right.......???????
    Kelvin :whistle:
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmm........rare...........

73c454b1.jpg

e81e50dc.jpg

54d5baf7.jpg

f027c0dc.jpg

5225a185.jpg

15d92088.jpg
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I've been doing that lately as well and find that I like them better that way.

Conversely, I've been running lower temps on my lean pork to about 140°F and like that better, although the rosy tint is off putting to some folks.

With steak it depends who's cooking it. If I order it out I get it medium rare to get a juicy one. If I'm doing it on the BGE, I can get that same juiciness closer to medium.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • stike
    Options
    ah yes. sorry. forgot some folks take everything they read as completely serious.

to be clear, i wasn't being serious about using kelvin.
  • NC-CDN
    Options
    stike wrote:
    ah yes. sorry. forgot some folks take everything they read as completely serious.

to be clear, i wasn't being serious about using kelvin.

With regards to trich - That makes me feel better. They put a good scaring into us in that class. Some sick things out there. I'll still cook pork done, but won't feel petrified about it.

As for the busting. I know you're joking. I live in the US. I get busted on about all sorts of things by these infer..NM. :P . What usually stops the taunts is "Olympic Gold Medal". LOL.

The main thing the guys here usually rib me about is CDN dollar. If I had a bet with them it would always be pointed out they are talking about American money. 10 cents on the dollar and all that. Funny stuff. The US value was higher for a while, but at least it's at parity. YAY us.

For the record.....I deal in Celsius and Fahrenheit, although I really don't get how Fahrenheit works. It's quite odd really. 32 is freezing?
  • stike
    Options
    NC-CDN...
    i think you are in "flat-view", reading the posts chronologically.

i was replying to potatohead, who apparently thought i actually meant "kelvin" degrees...

in "classic" view, it's clear who a poster is replying to. sorry for any confusion
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Andrew,

Don't fall for his tactics. He's a Canuck hater. You might be alright, how long have you been down there?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Actually...I was just twisting the tweekkkkk...
    I was pretty sure you knew what degrees Kelven were....