Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help / Suggestions Needed - Pot Luck

Options
NoleC5
NoleC5 Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All....

My wife is having a pot luck lunch at work on an upcoming Friday and wants to show off our egged food! ;) I had a couple of ideas...but not sure how or what to prepare and/or re-heat.

My thoughts were that I would have to grill it on Thursday night and have her bring it into work on Friday morning. I thought about doing ABT's or possibly one or two large turkey breasts??

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Danny,

How many people and what time will they be eating? Pulled pork is great and is easily reheated. I get asked to bring it in to work several times a year. Plan a 1/4 # per person of cooked pork....
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Kim...I thought about a pork butt, but was worried about doing an overnighter without a stoker or digiq. I've done two pork butts and they've come out great in the past but I guess it would make me a little nervous doing it for a group like that.

However, I guess it could be an easy cook...put on the night before...around 8 or 9 and hope that it's ready around 7 am to pull, wrap in foil and put in a cooler for her to take to work?
  • vidalia1
    Options
    It would require you to monitor the temps but that would work...cooking it at around 300 degrees at the dome gets it done quicker and you lose no flavor...and most everybody loves pulled pork.. :P
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Thanks Kim!! I'll probably go this route. Would you recommend pulling it at home and just re-heating it when she gets to work?
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    What I do is put it on, and shoot to get it done by 6:30am when I leave for work...takes some monitoring starting about 4am but if it's going too slow you can bump the temp up....

Wrap in foil, into the cooler with towels, and it will still be hot when she pulls it at 11:30 or so....
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I saw Steve Raichlen make smoked eggs for egg salad today. Can't wait to try it. Take hard boiled eggs, smoke indirect for 20 mins and use your own egg salad recipe. The outside of the whites will be mahogany color and a little tougher than plain hard boiled. He served it with herbed pita toasts.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I agree with crghc. If she has a place to pull it at work that is what I would do. The fresher the better...
  • NoleC5
    Options
    I was hoping to make it as easy as possible for her so would rather not have to make her pull it at work.

Since I'm sure its a Thanksgiving themed pot luck, would you think the Turkey breast would be an easier idea?
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    What time do you have to leave...you could get up early and Spatchcock a turkey...