Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey

Options
LOCOCOOKr
LOCOCOOKr Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will start this out by saying I am new to the BGE art and this is my first post on this forum...I have friends that have eggs and I wont receive mine for a couple of days.I am an avid griller and pride myself in making my own rubs and sauces. With that being said, I have been volunteered by my Boss for Smoking a Turkey for this years Company Thanksgiving Lunch. I cook 20+ slabs of ribs, Chicken, etc 2 times a year for our clients, so I said why not. I am looking for a very nice recipe suggestion for a beginner with a BGE. I have looked at a recipe with a brine and cooked using a butter compound that looks appetizing, but am looking for further suggestions. I like to take recipes and add a special touch to make it different.I have bought a rack and will be using a plate setter, and planning on using a 20lb bird. I dont really want a heavy smoked bird, due to other peoples preferences. To finish it off, my plan was to coat with mayonaise and add a nice coating of my favorite herb, type rub. Slight issue I have is I will be smoking it all night, will get to the office around 8, but wont eat till around noon. I dont want it to dry out!!! I know this is long, I just wanted to explain that I have good cooking experience and highly take pride to produce perfection for all to enjoy. PS-I am planning on using Mesquite wood chunks for smoking. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions. B)

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Welcome! This is the most popular recipe:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

I am a relative noob and I tried this and it was really good- even though I managed to overcook the bird. It was a smaller bird and just got done too fast.

I don't think I have used mesquite, but the popular opinion is to use some type of fruit wood (apple or cherry) for smoke, especially if you don't want it to overpower. That being said if you just don't use too much I'm sure it will be fine.

I would definitely do a practice bird if you have time between now and then.

For a 20 lb bird I guess you could plan on an all night smoke. I think your boss should just let you come in at noon considering you are doing the cooking :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    If you are actually wanting to do "smoked turkey" go to the cookbook tab on this forum, hit recipes, then poultry, and look at "nippers smoked turkey breast."
    Smoking requires curing, so I'm not sure that is exactly what you are after.
    You can "roast" a wonderful bird with great smoke flavor in far less time and it will be the best you ever ate.
    Basically you just need to follow the cooking directions for oven roasting, just get you dome temp about 25 degrees higher than you would in an oven.
    Mad Maxs hint about putting some ice on the breast prior to cooking works well.
    I would strongly suggest that you do not use mesquite for smoking. Poultry absorbs smoke readily and mesquite is quite heavy and tends to be bitter. A better choice is pecan which give a beautiful mahogany color to the bird and imparts a very pleasant smoke flavor. The other two good choices are apple and cherry. :)
    No way would this be an all night cook. You can probably start at 4 a.m., tell your boss you will be a little late, show up in time to carve a beautiful bird for lunch :ohmy: :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Rvik, Welcome to the forum. Tim :)
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I am too lazy to follow a detailed recipe for turkey so I cook it "normal" with excellent results. I generally prefer it brined for 24 hours then salt and pepper and through on the grate at 375 dome. They cook surprisingly fast on an egg due to the convection like environment. Around 2 hours later (12 lb bird) the breast has hit 160+ internal temp and the thighs 180. You can place bags of ice on the breasts for 1+ hours prior to cooking to accomodate for the different meat temps needs. Extremely juicy and delicious! I have also found take it very easy on the wood chips if you use any at all. Turkey can be easily over smoked and taste a little nasty. A half fist of apple chips sprinkled throughout the lump prior to cooking will do just fine.
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    Agree with the short cook approach. This year will be my first egged bird, but I've done it on my Weber kettle for the last several years. Total of 4 hours cook time. First two hours at 275 and raise to 325-350 to get it up to temp. Have used hickory in the past, but just picked up a bag of pecan for this year. Have used a simple overnight brine and only season with salt and pepper. The dark meat will pick up plenty of smoke while the breast will only get a small amount.
  • LOCOCOOKr
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice! I will take the advice on the kind of wood for smoking. I am so Eggcited about getting the BGE tomorrow, couldn't resist the pun.