Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Green Peanuts Shelf Life

BigBlueEggBigBlueEgg Posts: 43
edited 1:07AM in EggHead Forum
Purchased some green peanuts a few weeks ago in GA. How long will they last before needing to be cooked? I've already boiled one batch and would like to do another this weekend if they haven't gone bad.

• i am not sure they will keep several weeks......i hoped you kept in frig to keep cold. i think they would keep couple of weeks in frig. try a small batch and boil and see
  • some people will freeze fresh green peanuts , and boil later on whenever they feel like it....i always boil first and then freeze but may try this other method.
  • DiDi Posts: 395
    Oh my..........send them to me!!! You can't get green peanuts here in Texas. I love boiled peanuts! I remember my parents keeping the green peanuts for at least a couple of weeks. They freeze great once boiled. Just dump them back in boiling water for a few minutes to heat them back up. I'm so jealous!
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    My grandaddy used to grow peanuts.He would hang up several plants in the barn to dry and leave them til the next year and use them for seed.I would think that as long as you kept them hanging up somewhere in a mesh bag that they would be fine.Try Google. :)
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    That other post was meant for BBE. :blush:
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Go to Walmart in the produce section, they sell raw peanuts with instructions on how to boil them. I've boiled roasted peanuts and had as good results as raw ones. -RP
  • PoppasamPoppasam Posts: 440
    They will keep several weeks in the fridge. I usually boil them all and freeze if I'm doing green ones. I boil seversl hundred pounds of dried ones a year. I just soak them like dried beans and boil. There is a company here in Georgia that have cold storage warehouses so they have green to boil all year so I been told. Boiled peanuts will freeze well.

Eatin' goober peas,
  • DiDi Posts: 395
    Really? I didn't know that and I've only seen the roasted peanuts, so obviously I haven't looked good enough. I'll be making a trip this weekend. Thanks!