Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib

Rafterdude
Rafterdude Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some new and eggspanded or different recipes for christmas prime rib. Thanks in advance for the help! Best wishes!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Rafterdude,
    My team mate Hatch cooked a rib roast to feed our team at the Jack this year. It was the best I have ever had. He rubbed with his favorite beef rub and seared it good on all sides at 600-700...whatever. Then moved it to the side and reduced the temp down to 300-350...no indirect barrier, but not over the hot part of the fire. He roasted the thing until it was 125 inside, rested and served. [p]There is all kinds of complicated stuff you could do but this is simple, and hard to beat.[p]Happy Holidays!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ... try the one that I make. Start looking for fresh horseradish root NOW. :-) [p]I recently posted this on the BBQ Forum, but I forgot a couple of important notes. First, reduce the salt by about 50%. Second, use DRY mustard, not prepared mustard. Oh, I toast cumin seeds then grind them, too.[p]I like prime rib NB's way, too, but my Dad asks for this twice a year, so we go with it. It really is great.[p]Using a Polder takes all the guesswork out of getting it right, too.[p]Lee[p]
    [ul][li]Capt Bill's Prime Rib paste[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Lee,[p]That sounds wonderful! Thanks for posting it.[p]Happy Holidays,
    Tonia
    :~)

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Chris:[p]That is the way I do mine, but I pull it at 120º as I like a little mooo in my beef. Also, because I select bone in roasts I let the roast sit in the center of the grill bones down after the sear. They protect the bottom of the roast from over cooking.[p]ribroast2.jpg[p]I also like to add some potatoes after the sear. Typically, they are brushed with olive oil and seasoned with a favorite rub.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    QSis:[p]On the list to try . . . Sounds good!

• QSis,
    I can find ground/grated raw horseradish here(Gainesville, GA.)at most stores that sell Boars Head brand stuff. It comes in the same jar as their deli mustard. I've never had a problem with the taste but have never done it fresh before either. HTH.

• Rafterdude, the other day while perusing some of the garbage thrown at you on "Ad Wednesday' by the area supermarkets, I ran across an interesting recipe for Prime Rib (and bet it's good on pork, too!). I've had a recipe that I've done for the last ten years, but think I just may try this one on some company coming from England for New Year's. The following recipe is for the topping only and cook your roast as you normally would. [p]Garlic Topping for Rib Roast [p]20 cloves of fresh garlic
    1 TBS olive oil
    1/3 cup mayonnaise
    1/3 cup coarse ground prepared mustard
    2 TBS fresh parsley
    1 tsp salt
    ½ tsp cracked black pepper [p]1. Preheat your oven, or grill, to 375°. Place garlic in a small baking pan, drizzle with oil, and cook indirect for 20-25 minutes, stirring a couple of times, until tender.
    2. Process garlic, mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth. Spread over top and side of roast.
    3. Cook the roast as you normally would. Tent loosely with foil if topping becomes too brown. [p]Notes: this would be great with horseradish sauce. It might even be better with some fresh horseradish mixed in WITH the topping (what do you think?). Also, seeing as how I'm such a devoted fan of, and addicted to, Dale's Sauce, I might rub the roast down with it first before the topping goes on. [p][p]

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Nature Boy,
    Was your prime rib done in an egg? I have tried to do prime rib in my large twice and had to feed it to the dogs
    came out extreeeeemly tough but the dogs rejoiced
    I realy want to do a good smoked prime rib, There is a local resturant that serves smoked prime rib and it is the best prime rib I have ever had. But I must not be getting the temps right. The cook at the resturant tells me they smoke their prime rib for 4 hours but wont divulge the temps or type of wood they use but I suspect hickory or oak
    and I dont know if they marinate.
    But the prime rib is tender and very good( I order mine medium rare and my wife gets hers still quivering) I cant tell if it is rubbed as there is no crust on the portion that is served.It is served with auju(sp) and horse radish sauce
    If you have any ideas on how to help me be sucessful I would appreciate the help
    Thanks Glenn

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Glenn,
    Definitely on the egg. There are so many ways to go about it. Though I have not tried smoking a rib roast, I have heard of some great success with slow cooking. I think that the lower temp you cook, the more evenly it will be cooked throughout. I don't mind a deep pink center, and I like a good crust, so I cook them higher.[p]I doubt the key is in the marinade, the wood used, or even what temp it is cooked. Instead, the key is not to overcook. Any prime rib that had to be fed to the dogs sounds like an overcooked one.[p]Remember that the larger the roast, the more the temps will rise during the rest. I have had roasts that were pulled off at 130, allowed to rest, and were way overdone by the time they were served. I have had some really large roasts pulled at 115 that were perfectly cooked after the rest. [p]What internal temps have you been pulling the roast at? I think that could be your problem.
    Not sure if it helps, but it's all I got!
    Weekend brews toya.
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • glenn
    Nature Boy,
    The method that I used was to sear it on the outide and then cooked on an inverted platesetter over a drip pan at 325 dome with 2 chunks o hickory, pulled at 135 still red ish in the middle but so tough you couldnt cut it with a hatchet so it ammounted to 40 bucks worth of dog food. Maybe I was just lucky and got a piece of a 90 year old cow or somthin
    But Im gonna try again
    got any idea how to make aujus(sp)
    Glenn
    Glenn

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    EggMaster,
    OMG you live in Gainesvegas?!![p]I lived there for quite some time during my High School years (split betweeen GHS and Lakeview)[p]OT, but is the in between still open and serving the best roast beef samiches?

• Rumrunner,
    The recipe sounds great! What would we do without Garlic?
    As for mixing with horseradish im somewhat unsure. Kind of sounds like hot garlic topping to me. Thanks again!

• QSis,
    sounds great! Thanks for the input and Happy Holidays!

• Nature Boy,
    Simple is always good! Man, Im gettin hungry just thinkin about it. Happy Holidays!

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Nature Boy, Glenn,
    I've also had good results with low temp cooks being more even and with pulling a smaller one closer to the desired temp. I do 'em at 225-250 rack temp. I don't sear at the beginning, but prefer to crisp it up in a 500 degree oven.
    9699e787.jpg
    This was pulled at 129,rested for 30 or 40 minutes then into the oven for 5 min. or so.
    7a551d14.jpg
    Here is the finished product.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rafterdude,
    here is a link to how i do mine. ..[p]

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2004/messages/158216.htm[/ul]
  • glenn
    thirdeye,
    Thanks for the photo documentation
    I plan to try to smoke a prime rib the week before Christmas just to see if I can get one right
    It will be a mall one since those puppies cost about
    half a car paymet so I cant afford to screw up a big one
    8.99 a pound around here
    Do you inject or rub or anything like that?
    thanx again
    glenn

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Glenn,
    After sitting at room temp for an hour or so, I start with a light brushing of yellow mustard. Sea salt & black pepper is my minimum seasoning. If I do rub, I like a simple base of equal parts sea salt & black pepper with 1/4 parts onion powder and garlic powder (but everyone has different tastes). On such a nice cut of beef I try not to over season, over smoke or over cook. If anyone demands a spicy end cut, I jazz up one end during the last 1/2 hour of cooking. If a slice is too rare for anyone, it goes back on the egg for 30 seconds or less per side.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery