Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stolen Southern Fried Chicken

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have tried everyway that someone posts for crispy fried chicken, corn flakes, flour, cornstarch and a few others. Think I finally hit a grand slam.

Recently Derby City Egghead posted his version. I stole it with a few modifications. Thanks for the idea Derby City. Had our lurker "Avocado Joe' over for dinner and we played with the recipe.

Darby's original post.
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=991900&catid=1

Set large up indirect 375F and had chix pieces on bottom rack and wings on top, used pecan for smoke. Cooked for about 60-70 minutes no turning of poultry.

WHOLECHIXDSCN0516.jpg

I also used the Kentucky Kernal seasoned flour, but made the mix 50/50 seasoned flour and seasoned Italian bread crumbs. As Derby mentioned he would increase the seasoning which I did with some Pixie Dust. Used a creature called "The Better Breader" which I use when placing rubs on poultry. Around $10-$12.

http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=55713&cn=5400008&bhcd2=1288791480

CHICKENDSCN0515.jpg

I cut the chicken into pieces and added 10 wings. Placed in the frig with paper towels between the layers for 5 hours. Changed the papertowels twice. Got very dry. Perfect for Shaking and Baking.

Did the whole chix pieces in the flour.bread/seasoning mix. Then added some John Henry Honey Raspberry Rub to the flour and did the wings. Great flavor if you like a little sweet.

WINGS2DSCN0514.jpg

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Is the Kentucky Kernal sold in grocery stores? Their website wants $7.50 to ship a $1.75 box. -RP
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Richard remember the old shake n bake commercials? It's Shaken Bake and Iiiiii helped! :lol:
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I bought mine for about $2 in Winn dixie. Just happened to see it for the first time after I read the post from Derby city.

Box says enriched and bleached wheat flour, natural spices, herbs and MSG. IMHO when I run out I will just mix equal parts flour and bread crumbs and what ever seasoning I am in the mood for and go forward. You can do alot better with the $7.50+
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Very nicely done but now that you have crispy chicken what's the point in life? :P
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Crispy Steak?????
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I learned that lesson on my gasser a long timme ago. :blush:

For some reason I thought I could come home from work and light the gasser and put a steak on and run in and take a shower. Well I must admit I was a persistent non-egghead and tried more than several times before I learned to get more steaks because I was a dumb a$$ for thinking I was superman. I later learned I like my money as much as I like my steaks and I think I finely got smarter and purchased an egg and I no longer walk away from a cook. ;) Tim
  • B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    Options
    Richard, that looks great and I am going to try to do the "Stolen Southern Fried Chicken" too. Thanks for stopping by our setup at Eggtoberfest and introducing yourself. It was very nice to meet you. We were the group that spatchcocked chickens and cooked ABT dip, we were also the group with the sign board that had "Does this Egg make my butt look big? " written on it.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Richard... That chicken was published under the GPL... it's a geek thing, but it means you can use it for your own purposes provided you share your results. :laugh:

As far as results go... those look wonderful!! I will try your changes and I like the seasoned bread crumb idea. I have been thinking about cooking more chicken to feed some others and was curious how the drippings from a top rack would effect the chicken below. I am guessing that the wings worked great on the top rack.

Love it... I have been wondering what to make Saturday... I might have my answer!! :)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Thanks, what is GPL? If you place the chicken on double paper towels and change every hour or so I did it twice in 5 hours, there really is no drippings. The bottom rack was just as crispy as the wings on top. Also when I run out of the seasoning flour, I will just mix 1/2 flour with bread crumbs and add my own seasoning.