Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about great big trucks w/ diesel engines

The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in Off Topic
For any truck experts out there. I sort of need an accurate answer:

Ok. Imagine you have a monster dump truck. 5 axles with 2 of them able to be raised and lowered. Truck has a very very big diesel engine. Now, suppose the truck has been sitting all night with the engine off in 40 degree weather. You come out at 6 am to start the engine and drive it off to work.

How long is it reasonable to expect the driver to allow the engine to idle before he can drive the truck off? I'm not talking about warming it up enough to get heat into the cab. How long before he can reasonably drive the truck?
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    40 degrees isnt cold, maybe a minute or two
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks!
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    you got a neighbor with a big deisel :laugh: i dont think these new deisels even heat up properly with out getting them moving
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I have a jerk with a big diesel. He's parking his monster dump truck in a residential neighborhood. He has wierd hours and starts the engine and lets it run for long periods of time. It's extremely loud. The police have been called and he's violating the noise ordinance and another ordinance about commercial heavy equipment leaving their engines idle. I understand he needs to start the engine to drive it off, but I want to figure out what's reasonable length of time before I call the cops. Everyone in the neighborhood wants him gone and he's doing things to piss everyone off like blowwing the monster horn in the middle of the night. I want to be reasonable, but of course, people like this make it impossible.
    The Naked Whiz
  • As was stated, 40 degrees is not very cold. I would think that after starting the rig, doing the mandatory CDL vehicle inspection and letting air pressure get up to operating pressure, he should be good to go. I would think that if there were no vehicle problems, this should be able to be accomplished within 20 min or so. That's my opinion anyway..
    Rick
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    the newer engines run hotter than the older ones did, so a new tractor would take less time to warm up, I'm till trying to get a time frame.
  • If you have to get ugly, you could have friends block him in with old clunkers, so he can't get off to work for 40 hours or 40 days.
  • If you have to get ugly, you could have friends block him in with old clunkers, so he can't get off to work for 40 hours or 40 days.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Doug.
    I'll tell you what we did to deal with a family that just let their kids run amuck. They were tearing things up in everybody's yard and enjoyed sneaking out at night and banging on doors and windows in the neighborhood. All the neighbors chipped in about $25 each and we had a lawyer send them a "cease" letter. It explained their accountability for our loss of sleep, damages, violating cerfew laws, etc. They refused to sign for the certified letter so we taped an open copy to their front storm door facing in and out. The problem went away immediately.
    Bill
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    He may also be violating weight limits for your street/neighborhood. You might want to check with the rosd/street department.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    heck, check zoning laws for things such as signage, even.

in many towns you can't park a commercial truck in your yard long term simply because the truck may be acting as the equivalent of a commercial sign
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante