Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turducken

PWisePWise Posts: 1,173
edited 8:49AM in EggHead Forum
With Thanksgiving coming up I' starting to think of ideas...

Any one ever try this? a TURkey stuffed with a d DUck, stuffed with a chikEN = TURDUCKEN??

Cheers
pw

Comments

• vohsmkvohsmk Posts: 40
    I bought one once - cooked it in the oven - it was expensive and not as good as I thought it would be. I was really disappointed and so was my family. I'd never spend the money for one again. :(
  • PWisePWise Posts: 1,173
    mmmmm that's too bad... The sole idea of it is promising... I'm thinking of making my own... But am worried about all the work that has to go into it...

Cheers!
    pw
  • I made mad max's turkduckhen lasagna this Canadian thanksgiving and it was great. Made an awful lot though...

Doug
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    PW, I did it last year and it was not bad to do. I did cheat and use two chicken breasts instead fo a whole chicken. I used firewires to truss him up and they worked great!
    009.jpg
    the turkey deboned 'cept for the leg for presentation
    008.jpg
    the duck deboned
    008-1.jpg
    009-1.jpg
    011.jpg
    021-2.jpg
    023-1.jpg
    025.jpg
    Yeah, I'm thinking of building one myself...

Cheers!
    Yeah, I'm thinking of building one myself...

Cheers!
    Looking great!

I'll let you know how mine turns out...
    Cheers!
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,483
    closest ive ever come is watching that lousy pit master show. :laugh: the one that looked best was made with just boneless breast so you could just make smaller ones. mistakes made were not removing the skin on the duck and chicken. low and slow would probably be best because if you cooked it too fast the chicken would be done when the turkey is way over done
    Ohh yeah... lo n slo is definitely the way to go...

Cheers!
  • crghc98crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Maineggs' looks great. It is a good amount of work, but fun to do. definitely remove the skin from the duck and chicken. If you are decent at boning birds it isn't too bad....I'm not so it was a struggle. I didn't do one last year at my Christmas party and caught some grief so people must have liked it...I'm thinking of doing max's lasagna recipe this year.

I think a little time and effort on the stuffing layers goes a long way here....

Cook the duck skin and some fat though to use the drippings in making your gravy
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I did one a year ago. Bought just the frozen breast, which was plenty for my needs. It was pretty good, but more of a novelty than a gourmet meal IMHO :lol:
  • I've never made this but I know you're a sous vide guy - if you have any Activa, aka 'meat glue' maybe you can make a sort of turducken 'roulade' of sorts. Could be fun!
  • PopsiclePopsicle Posts: 517
    I love cooking and serving Turducken. Not ambitious enough to make my own but buy premade ones from a Cajun store in Houston. They will be around 16/18# and you can get all type of stuffing.
    I simply follow the cooking directions that come with it except uncover it for about 20 minutes longer than it calls for. Cook high in the dome and you will love it.
    To serve, slice from head to tail first then across for individual servings.
    Just as a note, 20+years ago when I first started cooking them you had to special order before Thanksgiving. My first several not only had turkey, duck, chicken but continued with a pheasant and a quail. They were really good.
    Good luck with yours.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.