Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin Suggestions

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have only done these little guys once...I did Kenny G's jerked version. Gonna cook a couple of these for Dad's bday friday, along with some chicken. [p]Any good suggestions for good tenderloin marinades/rubs/recipes??
Probably do 2 of them different ways.[p]Preeciate any tips.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Nature Boy,
    You might want to check out current (June) issue of Cook's Illustrated. They have an article called "How to Grill Port Tenderloin" - basically combines a 1 hour brine plus three different rubs to pick from (fragrant dry rub sounds good to me). Of course, you'll want to adapt cooking directions to egging.

• Oops - that's "How to Grill Pork Tenderloin" - not "Port Tenderloin"
  • Nature Boy
    Jerry,
    Thanks, I have not received my June issue yet. Maybe it will come today.[p]I just bought some Walkerswood Jerk Sauce that I have heard CW talk about. I understand you need to go sparingly, as it packs qute a punch!![p]Thanks for the tip.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Nature Boy,
    I've always had success using Mrs. Dog's jerk for a few hours before egging. Also, I've used Italian dressing...makes an awesome marinade as well. Depends on your mood. 300 degrees 20 minutes per side.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    Make sure that you leave the jerk on the meat for two days before grilling. It will produce melt in your mouth texture and you will be able to cut it with a fork.[p]Deffitinly cook over direct heat with a polder to 160 and flip every fifteen minutes.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Nature Boy, When I was in the same position of having guests over and pork tenderloin on the menu, I did up 4 of them (got 'em on sale for a change!). I did two with a basic dry rub, (paprika, garlic powder, tubinado sugar, pepper, sea salt and probably a few other spices if I know me). The other 2 I did chinese style, hoisin sauce, soy, honey and even the red food colouring just like the restaurants. The contrasting tastes, textures and even colour made for two very nice, very different options of the same cut of meat. Did it indirect over a water-filled drip pan, probably for one-and-a-half to two hours at 250-280. Finished em up with a quick roll on the grill to give a bit of a crust. Raves all around and I was a hero with the family again, thanks to my little green buddy.

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Well, 2 days in the jerk will be tricky, as I am cooking them tomorrow night. Maybe I will turbo-vacuum-marinate it. [p]The Cooks Illustrated article is good. We already know how to cook them up nice, so you can skip that info. They have a couple nice wet rubs. An Orange Garlic wet rub, with orange zest, fresh garlic, fresh sage, olive oil, orange marmelade.[p]Also a nice Asian wet rub. Garlic, ginger, scallions, brown sugar, hoisin, sesame oil, chile paste, 5 spice powder (they smartyly specify only 1/4 tsp! Strong stuff) and salt. Now that one sounds like it is going somewhere!! Wish I had my GOP's to chuck in there.[p]They also have an interesting dry rub with a fennel/cumin/corriander/cinnamon character.[p]Not to mention a low salt 1 hour brine that reportedly really helps. Time for some lemongrass.[p]So many options.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,[p]I'm a newcomer (tenderfoot) to this group and to the BGE. However, I have been grilling for many years on a gas grill (yuck!!!!), After only a few weeks, I already love my BGE. But to the point. Just yesterday I tried a Pork Tenderloin on the BGE using one of my old (rather common recipes). This is an easy but yummy recipe. It turned out swell except it need a with a few modifications to adjust it to the BGE. Here it is:[p]Meat
    1 pork tenderloin or
    1/2 lb. boneless porkchops - 1’ thinck, cut into 3/4” cubes[p]
    Marinade[p]1/4 cu. firmly packed brown sugar.
    1/4 cu. Dijon mustard
    2 tbsp. bourbon or orange juice. (I like bourbon or sherry)
    2 tbsp. soy sauce[p]Marinate in ziplock bag for at least two hrs, better overnight. Keep in fridge. Bring to room temp before putting on grill.[p]I find that 140 F. is plenty if you leave it sit for about 10 minutes after taking if off grill. On the BGE it was done in about 30 minutes at 320 degrees, allowing for 20 degree difference at grill level. Turn over when half done. I left it on for 40 minutes and it was a bit too done for our taste. [p]Good Luck[p]Anthony Up North [p] [p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    One final thought. JAppledog would also add some Key Limejuice and good dark rum to the Jerk. The acid in the limejuice will hasten the process. It works well.[p]The Asian Wet Rub looks good. I wish that I had more time to read that magazine. I have a subscription but I only seem to get a quick look each magazine.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Anthony Up North,
    You just reminded me of a recipe that I had forgotten about. Grilled Pork Chops with Cherry Habenaro sauce. The marinade was similar to what you described. I will look for it tonight. The recipe was out of an old issue of Chili Pepper.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy,
    I would do Jerk with Raspberry Glaze. One recipe is in Sauce section. If you have Jerk spice , Rub on with olive oil, then brush raspberry glaze in last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking. Ive done pork tenderloin this way several times, serve with bannana guava ketsup out of Thrill of the Grill or License to grill. Not sure which cookbook.

• Nature Boy
    BBQfan1,
    Great idea on mixing the flavors up.
    I can feel lemongrass entering the picture here.
    That red food coloring is a wild idea![p]Thanks. NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Anthony Up North,
    That sounds great. And leaves lots of room for snazzing up a bit too! I like the wet rub idea (like this recipe, and the ones in the CI article Jerry mentioned).[p]Thanks!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk,[p]Sounds yummy. I would be interested in your recipe. I know what cherries are, but what the heck is Habenaro. I'll be waiting with baited taste buds.[p]Thanks[p]Anthony Up North
  • RhumAndJerk
    Anthony Up North,
    Habenaros are the hottest of the hot peppers. However, the resulting sauce is not a scorcher.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• The Colonel
    The Colonel Posts: 87
    Nature Boy, Just came on board and haven't read all the comments but,,,,Santa Fe marinade is about as good as you can get. but then, I'm partial to that sweet bite that it offers. good luck
    yours in the egg--the colonel[p]

• Nature Boy
    Grillin Bill,
    I can hear myself now serving that guy up!![p]Here is the "Raspberry Glazed Jerked Pork Tenderloin with Banana-Guava Catsup". Sounds gourmet!! [p]Thanks for the idea. I'll look up that catsup recipe, and see what ingredients I might need. [p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    The Colonel,
    Thanks. I remember reading that recipe, and it sounds great. That was posted by our friend Bill Miller right??
    Nice hearing from you. Hope all is well.

DizzyPigBBQ.com