Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Houston-bound

Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Currently 42 degrees in Chicago. Headed to a forecast high of 88 in Houston this afternoon.

Any restaurant recommendations for the Houston area? I'll definitely hit Pappasitos (we're blessed with a couple Pappadeaux in the west Chicago 'burbs, but none of the rest of the chain). Any hole-in-the-wall joints I should visit? I'll be on the far west side of town, but will have a rental. Looking in particular for good BBQ or cajun joints, and other local specialties. Will be there all week.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Best BBQ and cajun at the Chicken Ranch, they are world famous. -RP
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    This weekend is our Plano Texas Egghead gathering.
    Would be great to have you stop in. No better BBQ could be had in Houston. Lots of food and no cover charge.
    Safe travels,
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Haaa... Got you fooled. We just buy frozen and thaw LOL

We're right in the middle of remodelling right now or we would invite you up to visit the Chicken Ranch. If you are going to be on the west side of town we're probably only about 50 miles or less from you.

If you don't mind skipping the main house we can surely show you around the Coop. Might even get the Girls to show off some of what they do.

I used to be listed in the Yellow Pages under "Sex Symbol" but things have changed. If you have some free time before Friday, call us 281-353-7961. We're packing for Plano as we e-speak.

Welcome to Houston.

Spring "Hammer Blows Cause Headaches" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    That would be cool! I can vouch for Ben - he's a real stand-up guy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Depends on your schedule but we go to a great Mexican restaurant with our Egghead neighbors every Wednesday night at 4:44 P.M. (inside joke about the time). Come join us for a margarita and dinner and a tour of the Chicken Ranch :)
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • World-famous, for sure, but I hear the reservation list is long. ;) I keep hearing people say "I've got reservations about those two."
  • Thanks for the invitation. I might have to take you up on that. I'm staying out along the energy corridor, so I'll obviously be nearest this evening, when I fly into Bush, but hopefully I'll be able to make a trip up some evening. I won't know the week's itinerary until tomorrow. I'll give you a call when I have more details.
  • Sounds like a great idea, Judy. I might be persuaded to consume a margarita or two. I'll see what Wednesday's schedule looks like, but I'm guessing 4:44 might be a little early. We shall see.
  • Sadly, I'm only in town until Friday. Well, "sadly" since I won't be able to make it up to Plano, aside from that, I'll be thrilled to get back home to my girls. Gonna be a long week. Hopefully the margaritas will make it pass quickly. Thanks for the invitation. From the pics, Plano is a blast every year.
  • Takes one to know one, Ron. :)
  • I'm partial to the Luling City Market on Richmond inside the loop down in the Galleria area for BBQ. A good second nearer to you is Goode Company BBQ in I-10 a little ways toward town. Two different styles of BBQ and both pretty good, not as good as what comes from an egg, however. Pappa's BBQ (several around town) is pretty OK, also. It's the same family as the one that owns Pappadeaux's and Papacita's.

As for Cajun food, the Ragun Cajun on Richmond, also near the Galleria and inside the loop, just down the street from Luling City Market is my favorite.

Enjoy Houston.
  • Thanks for the recommendations! I've been to one BBQ place along I-10...might have been Goode Company. Might have to give Ragun Cajun a try.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Ben -

You got your dates messed up. The NCAA Men's basketball finals in Houston aren't until April 2-4, 2011.

My one alma mater (Butler) was one shot away from winning it all last year. I'm hoping my other alma mater fares better this year B) (we'll be strong even without Hummel).

Roudy
  • tell work you are on Eastern Time :whistle: