Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big bacon breakfast bowl

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My entry is a bowl made of bacon filled with mini cheddar basil onion frittata, buttered brown sugar pancakes & fresh fruit

027.jpg

how I made it

Begin with a bacon weave (which I did wrong but it still stayed together), drape over a metal bowl covered in foil with the ends flipped up to catch the fat forming sort of a bacon grease moat. Place on the egg over direct heat so the bacon forms itself into the shape of the bowl as it cooks. I had to remove this 3 times to drain the fat off; there was so much in there I thought that if the levy failed I’da had the equivalent of a small tactical nuclear explosion inside the egg:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

009.jpg

the whole assembly is supported on a veggie cooker and a small pizza screen is added on top with some weight to make sure the thing stayed together up top:

011.jpg

This is about ½ done, after another 20 minutes or so I removed it to let it cool so I could remove the bacon bowl from the metal bowl for use:

012.jpg

Next, caramelize onions then add beaten eggs with fresh shredded basil and top with cheddar cheese:

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

After batch one firmed up enough to remove I put them on the grid to finish cooking while the second batch went into the pan - had to keep the conveyor belt moving along efficiently

018.jpg

Next, using the same pan, add butter & brown sugar to the cups then pour in the pancake batter. After about a minute flip to brown the other side:

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

When all the cooking is complete, cut cantaloupe in half, scoop out the seeds add black berries:

Spooky spider-lope:

008.jpg

Finally, assemble the big bacon breakfast bowl for presentation:

023.jpg

Then place it on the table & step away slowly because it took 3 hours to assemble this atrocity & there were a lot of hungry & less than happy foot tappers
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments