Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Big bacon breakfast bowl

ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,327
edited 3:29AM in EggHead Forum
My entry is a bowl made of bacon filled with mini cheddar basil onion frittata, buttered brown sugar pancakes & fresh fruit

027.jpg

how I made it

Begin with a bacon weave (which I did wrong but it still stayed together), drape over a metal bowl covered in foil with the ends flipped up to catch the fat forming sort of a bacon grease moat. Place on the egg over direct heat so the bacon forms itself into the shape of the bowl as it cooks. I had to remove this 3 times to drain the fat off; there was so much in there I thought that if the levy failed I’da had the equivalent of a small tactical nuclear explosion inside the egg:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

009.jpg

the whole assembly is supported on a veggie cooker and a small pizza screen is added on top with some weight to make sure the thing stayed together up top:

011.jpg

This is about ½ done, after another 20 minutes or so I removed it to let it cool so I could remove the bacon bowl from the metal bowl for use:

012.jpg

Next, caramelize onions then add beaten eggs with fresh shredded basil and top with cheddar cheese:

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

After batch one firmed up enough to remove I put them on the grid to finish cooking while the second batch went into the pan - had to keep the conveyor belt moving along efficiently

018.jpg

Next, using the same pan, add butter & brown sugar to the cups then pour in the pancake batter. After about a minute flip to brown the other side:

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

When all the cooking is complete, cut cantaloupe in half, scoop out the seeds add black berries:

Spooky spider-lope:

008.jpg

Finally, assemble the big bacon breakfast bowl for presentation:

023.jpg

Then place it on the table & step away slowly because it took 3 hours to assemble this atrocity & there were a lot of hungry & less than happy foot tappers
·

Comments

• LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    that's great! I like how you made the bacon bowl
    context is important :)
    ·
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,789
    What a breakfast...
    I vote for Zippylip. But then again, I don't count.
    Great "how to" post as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·
  • that is a second rate pile of crap
    ·
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,327
    I could say the same thing about you
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,128
    thats a lot of work, it all looks good. whats the pan called and typically used for, would be nice for little meatpies i think
    ·
  • Zip, glad you survived both the bacon and the family threats :evil: Nice presentation :)
    ·
  • That is making me hungry! I love the pancake pan too....now I want one!

Nice entry.
    ·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Nice! Complete breakfast in a bacon bowl :laugh:
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I we have a winner!! :cheer:
    But I'm not a judge :P :( :lol:
    ·
  • You got my vote, brilliant use of bacon!
    ·
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    Very creative. I love the bowl.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    i agree. tweev produced better food than this. ever notice how all of zippy's stuff is completely original made-up stuff? that's because if it sucks, no one would know. i mean, how do you know what this crap is supposed to taste like?

zippy, buy a cookbook, and take a class or go to school. anyone knows only a trained person can create interesting food.

puh-leeze

( ;) )
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • Ever make escargot in that pan?

I like the bacon bowl, did one of those before but it's a little much and doesn't come together like a good weave.
    ·
  • someone mark the date, this may be the first thing you've ever said that makes even a scintilla of sense - zippy is an overrated boob with no talent & even less creativity
    ·
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,327
    Mrs. Smackdown assures me, repeatedly, that you are wrong
    ·
    zippy once cooked me a philly cheesesteak that tasted like an old moccasin filled with freezer burnt shaved steak. i didn't have the heart to tell him, because he was basically BEGGING for praise for the damn thing. i actually tried to choke down two of them, to cover my disgust.

when he went inside to get something else to cook, i fired it into the trash.

the trash threw it back.
    ·
  • awesome (food and response). J
    ·
  • obviously you wouldn't know good food or a snappy comeback if it was launched forth from the hind quarters of a large incontinent mammal & landed on you
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,400
    That's great Marc!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    Verrrry impressive - the bacon bowl is great! :laugh:
    ·
  • Don't forget the toaster shakings pasta either.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    :laugh: :laugh:

only one whose food wasn't total crap (including mine) was Rod. and that's because he didn't cook a damn thing. flew under the radar.
    ·
  • Your summer sausage was good from what I remember.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    that was his. i would have loved to have had some, but something got into the fridge
    ·
  • Yes, you have to be careful of that in the wild.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Hey! I cooked (poorly) all that meat that Steve and Zippy bought Saturday night.
    ·