Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Rib eye? How long is too long?

Options
Luvs to shoot clay
Luvs to shoot clay Posts: 774
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Before I left for work last time I bought this prime grade whole rib eye at Costco. It has been in the refrigerator for 43 days now and weighs 9.25# compared to 11.99# in the package. It looks a whole lot smaller. It still smells fresh. I am planning on cooking it in steaks on Wednesday evening. My question is how well will it keep frozen? Same as fresh? What's the longest you have aged one? Was this too long?

DSC01798.jpg

After 42 days:
DSC01811.jpg

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it will keep well when frozen for approximately ten thousand years or so, as long as temps are stable and it doesn't defrost.

freezing food preserves it indefinitely, as long as it is kept from the air and temp changes. throw the steaks in a vacuum foodsaver bag, and you don't need to bother writing the date on the package. they can't go 'bad' (read: 'unsafe'). and as far as going 'bad' (read: 'food quality'), it is debatable. likely to be kept indefinitely without any issue.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    My first one was aged for 28 days and it froze wonderfully. They do thaw out a lot faster than normal. My guess is because there is less water in them. We ate the last one this weekend and it was great but not to worry. There is one in the fridge I put in Sept 23. It is coming out this weekend. RRP is basically a 45 days or more kind of guy. Stike has some thoughts as well.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I just caught a show on one of the food channels showing some famous steakhouse that had some aged 75 days...of course they also have specialized aging rooms...you should be fine.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    you'll be fine as you've already been assured. I'm a little surprised at the degree of pinkness you still have at 42 day days. Here was my rib eye at 45 days.
    IMG_1452.jpg

and then cut
    IMG_1466.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    BTW when I talked with BobbyQ at Oswego in September he told me he has aged a sub-primal for 75 days in a DrybagSteak bag and he said it was wonderful!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Willy,
    At this point it's not safe to eat and might be toxic.
    Please stay clear and email me your location and I will stop by, pick it up and dispose. Always remember, safty first...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Not sure why it is still pink on the outside. It was not in a dry bag this time. The refrigerator it is in isn't opened much when I am gone because it mostly holds cold beer. Maybe that is why it's still pink. I will take some pictures when I cut it for steaks on Wednesday. Then it will be 45 days old.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    I will go ahead and dispose of it with some buddies of mine at the Greater Houston Gun Club on Wednesday night. It's not too far North of you if you want to come up and help with the disposal. We always have a good time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thank you Willy,
    Please shoot me an email and let me know how it turns out. Working late wednesday to take off Thursday and Friday for Plano Eggfest.
    Take care,
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas