Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Assembling my large BGE

sbmfj
sbmfj Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

I have finally finished my table, and want to assemble my large BGE. Im wondering how long it takes to assemble the rings and spring mechanism and perfrom the dollar test. Reason asking, is by the time I get home, and change, its almost dark. I do have lights in the back, which provide some good light, but do you think Id be better off assembling it during daylight hours? Im mostly worried about the dollar bill test, and making sure the dome and base sit comfortably on eachother. Any feedback is welcome!!

Oh, and I read that the base ring should try to be as low as possible (near the ridge when it pops out) should the same be done with the dome (ie as hign as you can go)

Let me know...

Thanks!!!

Comments

• edg1
    edg1 Posts: 86
    Personal opinion, why rush it? Do it on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Take your time. Celebrate with a burger or ribs or chicken.

edg
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    How long is probably a function of how handy you are, but it is not that big a job.

If you are worried, you could put the bands and the handle on the spring one night and then assemble the next.

If it was me, I couldn't wait all week to fire it up.
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    I bought a large on Saturday to go with my medium, I preassembled the hinge/bands yesterday and will finish the installation this weekend. When I did my medium it took about a half hour or so to assemble the whole thing however I got the lower band on just fine where it is just resting on the ridge but could not get the top band close to the ridge, it is just over the lip of the top lid, anyways I let it fly and it has been fine since last July. One thing I did yesterday is not separate the kep screws (stud looking screw)apart, there are 8 that are longer for the bands and 2 shorter for attaching the handle. I had to take it all apart and find the 2 short ones!
  • sbmfj
    sbmfj Posts: 37
    thanks, if the weathr hold up (looks like it may rain), ill give it a shot tonight!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    sbmfj, You said you have your table finished so I was wondering if you planed to put your egg on a paver and on the three BGE feet? I say that because that is what most eggheads do to keep from getting the table to hot. If you have all those things ready then start by putting in your paver then set your base in and adjust your paver. Once you have your paver in place raise the back of your egg up and place your BGE foot where the hinge will be. Then divide the other two. Use only three that way your egg won't wiggle all over the place. You could work until you can't see then finish on the next day. What ever you do I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. Have fun, Tim :)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Looks like you got all your answers but one. :)
    No, the top band does not need to be pushed up tight against the rim on the dome. What you want is equal distance between the two bands all the way around. This allows the dome to close evenly and your dollar bill test is a cinch B):)