Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! Ribs cooking now....Need advice

Options
redneck6497
redneck6497 Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I am trying to make some spare ribs DRBBQ style. I put them on at 1:00 and cooked them mostly around 325, but let them go down to 275 - 300 a few times. I left them for on about 1 1/2 hrs, and covered them and have been cooking for 1hr. I tasted them, and they are a little chewy.

Do I need to just leave them on? or did I cook them too fast, or make them overdone???

Comments

• NotabuttDave
    Options
    If they are chewy, they aren't overdone.

If they are overdone, they will be dry.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I find spares usually go longer (5 or 6 hours at 250 so you will be quicker)and chewy sounds like they arnt quite done yet.

Doug
  • redneck6497
    Options
    Everyone was right .... they weren't right. I'll post again later and let you know what I found.

As usual THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!
  • Uncle Phil
    Options
    Here is a link to a video I did on doing ribs. I think it will help. Low and slow is the magically trick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqTKVe7NZtk

Uncle Phil
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have cooked them many times and 250F dome has worked well for me. Mine usually cook till they bend way over when I pick them up from one end with a pair of tongs. I have checked the times in the past and fine they usually cook around 5 or 6 hours. It will depend on the size of the slab of ribs you are smoking. Good luck and remember it's all good and you will do better next time. Tim ;)
  • Isolated01
    Options
    DRBBQ cooks them for 2 hours for color and then foils for an hour or so to make them tender. That's what he said at Eggtoberfest anyway. Hope this helps.
  • redneck6497
    Options
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice yesterday. I did figure something out. Hey, its all a learning experience anyway. The ribs I had on the very bottom closest to the plate setter were absolutely done and delicious. The ribs that I had to stack to the top were less done, and a little more chewy. However, it confirms my suspicions that if they are chewy they aren't done (several of you said that). The only bad thing about the ones on the bottom was that they got "blackened" on the bottom somewhat because the apple juice I put in the "package" got a little too hot and the sugar burned up. My dad ate those and really loved the "blackened" parts. The top meat was to die for though .... just like Dr. BBQs. I a good handful of pecan chips on early and saw so much smoke that I actually waited so as not to get too much smoke. That was a mistake. I think they definitely could have taken it.

All in all, they were darn good ribs. I can't wait to cook them again. I think another few times and I'll have it down pat.

I can upload pictures if anyone wants to see the final product.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    redneck6497, Last summer when I cooked Baby Back ribs I had a lot of guests and the cook was a Car Wash Mike tribute and was to be posted in one of the longest post I have ever seen. Because I spritzed very often I also rotated if I hadn't my cook may have turned out like yours.

Also, if you have pic's you should have them in you post. Pic's help tell your story and can help someone in the future as well as help you.

Keep cooking ribs cause it gets better and better and Like your Dad you get to eat all the mistakes. :P Tim

Here is the link to that historic post. My cook is on page 5 and the whole post goes for 15 pages.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=921990&catid=1
  • NotabuttDave
    Options
    redneck6497 wrote:
    Hi All,

I think another few times and I'll have it down pat.

quote]

Nope, if you are like most, you will be fiddling with your technique.

That, and playing with fire are part of the enjoyment.