Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"The Chicken" Southern Style

Options
Egg Juju
Egg Juju Posts: 658
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After trying AZRP's fabulous chicken and the way it looked when it came off the Egg I knew right then I had to give it a southern twist. I love fried chicken and it is hard to find good friend chicken around here. Believe it or not, most of us in Kentucky don't believe KFC is good chicken... at least not since the Colonel sold the recipe. :)

So... I made some simple modifications and got this wonderful southern fried chicken dinner.

First I cut up a whole chicken and let the pieces rest uncovered in the fridge for about 2 hours. Then I got the egg stable at 350 with a plate setter and a drip pan. Once it was rolling along I tossed the chicken pieces in Kentucky Kernel Seasoned flour. It was good, but since it is a thin coating next time I will amp up the flour with more salt and pepper. The chicken pieces went on the Egg and I closed the lid. 90 minutes later we had crispy crunchy southern style fried chicken. No mess... no fuss... no oil splattered everywhere... fewer calories... I think I can keep that up for awhile. :laugh: I will certainly be making the spicy version from time to time, but this version well be in the rotation too. Here are some pics I took along the way.

DSC01795.JPG

DSC01796.JPG

DSC01797.JPG

DSC01798.JPG

DSC01800.JPG

I know everyone here says this... but I love my Egg... this was too easy and too tasty and I had fried chicken with a subtle smoky flavor. It don't get much better than that! :)
Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com

Comments