Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Best way to cut 18" hole??

SawbonesSawbones Posts: 31
edited 11:40AM in EGG Table Forum
whats the best way to cut a 18" hole for my MED BGE table?
·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Sawbones,

What are ya cutting?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Steve

I have my table top built I just need to cut the hole out for the BGE.
    The top is made of 1" thick cypress boards.
    I'm going to use a sawsall or jig saw just not sure the best way to draw it out?
    ·
  • 61chev61chev Posts: 539
    Find the center then cut a 9" string with a pencil draw you circle and saw with a jig saw
    ·
  • 61chev61chev Posts: 539
    Find the center then cut a 9" string with a pencil draw you circle and saw with a jig saw
    ·
  • i used my router with a homemade jig
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,490
    Prob'ly too late, but put a push pin or nail at the center of the circle. Take a piece of wire and wrap it around the pin. Attach the other end to the saw at whatever radius you're going for. No line to follow. Perfect circle.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • I use a short piece of 1 X 2 scrap, first drill 2 holes 9 inches apart to fit a finishing nail, now drill one of the small holes to fit a pencil. At this point tap a finishing nail through the small hole into the center of hole in the table top. Insert pencil in larger hole rotate and draw.
    ·
  • I use a custom jig with my router and straight cutting bit. I can attach a screw in my centerpoint, adjust the jig for the length I need and have at it.
    ·
  • SnorkSnork Posts: 15
    For what its worth, I would use a router and a rotary trim bit to cut the hole, then use a round over bit to finish the edge. I have used a home made jig that attaches to the router to cut various size circles, it is much easier and cleaner that a jig saw.
    ·